Thread: Old Canoe Restoration

Old Canoe Restoration

Some years ago an associate gave me a old plank on frame canoe he thought I might want to restore. As my plate was pretty full at the time I put it in the over head of my shop until ready to work on it. Last night I remembered it and removed some of the junk that has been collecting on it and gave it a quick and dirty survey with plans on cleaning out part of my shop to set up and restore. A lot of rotten frame ends, decks missing, in-wales and out-wales in bad shape, a small hole in the bottom, planking at the sheer in bad shape and broken off in some areas. A lot of work to be sure but nothing difficult. The challenge here for me is re-canvasing the hull. I have done a few cabin tops but never a canoe. So unless some one here at the creek can convince me that I would be better off letting them restore it, I have a boat building project.IMG_1645.jpgIMG_1642.jpgIMG_1643.jpgIMG_1646.jpgIMG_1641.jpgIMG_1644.jpg

Shark attack?

I've got a 1947 Old Town OTCA that I re-canvased in 04. Wasn't hard at all. Found a lot of info on the wooden canoe heritage forum. Not sure if I can post links to other forums here, but google WCHA and it should pop up.

There are opinions on different recipes for filler, different fabric materials, sources for materials, etc.

Good luck

Ditto on the referral to the WCHA. You will find what you need there.

Thanks for the info. I will check them out.