Thread: Anyone else getting these "Free Home Security System" calls?

Anyone else getting these "Free Home Security System" calls?

This is driving me nuts. Someone is calling my cell phone almost daily from a wide variety of numbers. The call starts as a recording offering a free home security system. It says to press 1 to speak to an agent or 2 to be removed from the list. The one time I pressed 1 the agent hung up as soon as I tried to get any info. I suspect its a scam rather than a "legitimate" business making illegal marketing calls. I've Googled some of the numbers that call and have found 100's of reports of the same, but nothing to help make it stop. The number is already on the Federal Do Not Call list and I thought telemarketing calls to cell phones were illegal anyway. Since they change the number they are calling from I can't block the calls, or I should say it does no good.

Blog Entries
    I would call your service provider and see if they can do anything about this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

They just said they can block a number. I can do that myself through their web site.

Not only do I get calls from scam #'s, I have them id as a local name and phone # and be a sales call. Some of the folks I know and have called and told them about it. That is a new twist to me.

Got a call like that about three weeks ago on my work cell phone. I pressed 1 and an "agent" called me back. I led this guy on about the product and who he worked for and the weather by him and ......well you get the idea. After about 15 minutes of wasting his time and money he ended the call.

I'm guessing after that they blocked my number. If you learn how to lead them on and waste their time and money they usually leave you alone.

Jerry
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry - Nice!! A friend of mine does that. He talks and asks endless questions until the person on the other side understands what's being done.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.