Thread: Locking the cover on a disconnect?

Locking the cover on a disconnect?

I've got a few disconnects in my shop that have a place to put a padlock or ??? to keep the cover closed. NOT to lock out the disconnect itself (I know what that's for) but to prevent access to the inside. I've just put zip ties on them in such a way that you can't open them without cutting off the zip tie, but I'm guessing that's not the real way to do it. So what is? Are you really supposed to install a padlock?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Matt:

They are made to accept a lock or ' lock out hasp ' to which several locks can be affixed.

If it was on a table saw at a production shop ( for example ) and you had shut it off on the disconnect to say tighten the trunnion fasteners, it would prevent someone coming up to the saw and energizing it - Occupational Safety doctrine stipulates that disconnects must be locked out so work can safely be done on the equipment. The rules vary by State and Province, but that is the general premise.

I am on the Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committee at a Pulp and Paper Mill that employs 550 +; Lockout is taken very seriously here.

The lockout capability for home use could certainly keep little ' helpers ' out of the mix as well.

Dave Beauchesne

Dave, that's what the hasp on the disconnect handle is for. I've got a lockout lock I carry in my backpack since its company policy--though I don't deal with equipment so its never been used. The one I'm talking about is is to prevent access to the inside of the disconnect.

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    Dave, that's what the hasp on the disconnect handle is for. I've got a lockout lock I carry in my backpack since its company policy--though I don't deal with equipment so its never been used. The one I'm talking about is is to prevent access to the inside of the disconnect.
    I think I know what you mean - in these days of liability, I suppose to keep unwanted fingers out of the internals of the disconnect - where will it end?
    Put a Michelin Man suit on everyone; that will reduce workplace injuries !!

Dave B

Matt, I think you have done your duty adding the zip ties. Those commercial enclosures provide a means of protection from access in public places, or by unauthorized "others."

IMO, inside a private one-man shop, away from public access, padlocking electrical cabinets, disconnects or other boxes containing high voltage wiring is a non-issue.
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!

Matt, electrical equipment approvals require that a tool be required to open doors if live parts will be exposed.

A tool is a tool as we consider it, a key or even a coin to operate a screw or latch.

Your tie-wrap fulfils that purpose although at work we normally use a nut and bolt on disconnect switch door latches.

It alo helps keep the door closed during a fault...........Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Matt, electrical equipment approvals require that a tool be required to open doors if live parts will be exposed.

A tool is a tool as we consider it, a key or even a coin to operate a screw or latch.

Your tie-wrap fulfils that purpose although at work we normally use a nut and bolt on disconnect switch door latches.

It alo helps keep the door closed during a fault...........Rod
    On a 240V disco there is no requirement for a tool to open the door, Heavy Duty 240 & 600V safety switches useally have a cover interlock, these will vary depending if under UL or CSA requirements. A Ty-Wrap or a TEK screw to keep little fingers out of live parts is not a bad idea on a cover, since the cover interlock (if equipped) releases when the switch is turned off. It will in no way affect LOTO, Lock Out Tag Out.