Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting a fireplace mantle beam

Mounting a fireplace mantle beam

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best way to mount a fireplace mantle beam? I've got a solid cherry beam about 5"x10"x5.5' to mount above my fireplace. I'd like it to be a floating mount with no corbels. Estimated weight maybe 150 lbs.

There is a 2x6 mounted flat to the wall studs with the stone surround. The studs behind it are marked.

I've considered drilling holes in the wall for rebar and then drilling matching holes in the back of the beam to slide on. This seems like it would hold well but I have my doubts about getting it level.

Another thought was a large piece of angle iron and then route a groove in the back of the beam to slide on. I think I would probably have to put at least a screw or two into the angle iron from top or bottom to feel good about this method.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Photo below is of the mounting location. Thanks!

I just used a french cleat to hold mine on...worked great. Do a google search if your not familiar with them and you will find some examples.

Phil

Since you can still locate the studs, I would use 3/8" - 1/2" steel rod through your face mounted 2 X 6 and into the studs and then drill corresponding holes into your mantle beam. I would not use rebar, it has too much friction. I've installed floating shelves this way using steel rods and it works beautifully. Just be precise in all your drilling. You might want to bend the rods ever so slightly up prior to sliding on the beam so that the beam will "settle in" level.

Brian,
    A method that I have used with both wood and stone mantles is to use the OSB that is designed for industrial stairways, or other very stable material. In your case I would ;laminate a piece together that would measure 2.5 x 3.5 x 4'. Drill and lag the piece to your fireplace, scriibng it to fit snug if need be (I incorporated a lateral 2x6 in my framing prior to putting sheathing on and lagged this piece on prior to the stone work, but if you know where your studs are, you should be ok). Cut a 2.5" wide x 3.5" deep x 4' mortise in the back of your mantle. It should slip right over your mounting board. It can either be secured with screws and plugged, or with construction adhesive.
    Volah, your mantle is secure with no corbels or brackets. Another plus, is that internal the mounting piece lends stability to the mantle.
    Last edited by Jonathan Spool; 03-19-2011 at 1:45 PM.

How about Bed Rail Hangers?

Being as you have the flush 2x6, four pair of heavy-duty bed rail hangers would do nicely.

+1 for a french cleat. I've seen it done numerous times and it's not that difficult to swing. Also it makes getting level easier.

a french cleat variation

Brian, This is a mantle commission that I did about 12 years ago. It is solid ebonized mahogany so the center component is quite heavy. I'm sorry for the crappy image, but the the mantel has a curving gesture to it which puts it at about 15" at its widest point. I had two steel brackets fabricated and basically created a french cleat (kind of the way a lavatory is mounted) However, I had to cut a recess in the rear of the mantel so the fit would be flush.
    Dooley-mantel.jpg

I like the idea of the angle iron, but what about snugging it up to the wall with a drawbore instead of screws? To me, that would be pretty stout.

OK I know what a french cleat is but can't figure out how you'd use it in this case.
    You have to make a large recess in the back of the beam?

PS. Not sure if that 2X6 is flush to the wall or not..

I used threaded rod. The threads provide enough friction to hold the mantle firmly to the fireplace, plus it is easy and fast to do.

was at a friends house just the other week, and I asked him how his mantle (a 4x8ish pine beam) was hanging on the brick... His answer was that he just put in several LONG tapcons in on a 45-degree angle from above and below. I looked and found 3 underneath, but they weren't easy to find. And the ones on top are hidden also. Amazing how it doesn't take that much to do the job.
    "It's Not About You."

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Johnson View Post
    I just used a french cleat to hold mine on...worked great. Do a google search if your not familiar with them and you will find some examples.

Phil
    Ditto. Have a bunch of them out there on french cleats. Gravity is hard to beat.

7" x 3/4 inch lag bolts into studs angled at 22 degrees, cut bolt head off ,leaving 2-3 inches sticking out
    drill matching holes in beam

its a combination of pin and french cleat
    Carpe Lignum

Brian, here is a simple sketch of how I did my cleat
    Untitled-1.jpg

Dennis,

Thanks for the drawing. I assume that your cleat was made of some type of metal? Where did you get that? My first thought was something exactly like this but I couldn't figure out where to get the cleats from. I don't know anyone with a metal brake.