Thread: Workbench Thickness Question

Workbench Thickness Question

I recently purchased a maple workbench, 26"x84". It is a little over 2" thick and I'd like to beef it up a bit. My question is whether it is necessary to laminate another layer under the entire bench, making it 3"-3 1/2" thick or would it be sufficient to just beef it up on the edges and under the bench dog holes. I will be using this bench for planing, sawing and assembly as I have a small "joinery" bench that I use for chisel work since it is taller and thus easier on my back.

Many folks will find 2" plenty thick. I've used a 6-foot long bench 1-3/4" thick joiners bench for many years of work both professional and amateur. Basically, the bench is bolted to my garage wall which adds a great deal of stiffness. Just now I have 5" hard maple in the shop for its replacement.
    In my opinion, a wider apron will add a great deal of stiffness. Most retail benches are around 2" thick and have a 3 - 4" apron. However, For using clamps, I greatly prefer a bottom that is even with the apron. Having to clamp around the apron is a royal pain. Once I even filled in the bottom of drill press table because it's just miserable trying to use a clamp on a typical cast iron tool bed.
    So, how about laminating something inexpensive ( like Douglas fir ) to the bottom just to provide for clamping, then add a nice 1-1/2" ( or so ) apron all around.

I will echo what Russell said about the apron and clamping. It is a royal PITA, and my "apron" is actually a 2x4 on edge, so it's 1.5" thick. Even at that, I would much prefer to have it "deeper". hmmmm, maybe I'll just laminate a few 2x4s to the back of the apron.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.