Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Desk

Computer Desk

This is a desk for my wife's imac. It is quarter sycamore and walnut. Through wedged mortice stretches. Continuous fold over miters... The usual suspects (details) I tend to include. Sorry the pictures were take with my I phone
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

My shop is a mess ... this is not like me (yes it is) ... Pictures are unrotated, but desk sits on floor in normal position... Finish is teak oil rubbed with wet and dry #600 then renaissance wax... for a glass like finish

Good to see your work again!

What's the joinery between the sides and the top? And the mitered joint between the desk top and its sides?

Jamie,
    Dowels from side to top... ledger strip (ribbon) on inside for miter... one edge is glued and the other can move if it needs to ... there are screws ( sorry) in the ledger
    Last edited by Mark Singer; 03-20-2011 at 8:48 PM.

Nice to see some work from you again Mark. A fitting home for an imac...
    Thanks for the look see. This one is another example of your craftsmanship.

Mark, fantastic work as always! The mac should look right at home on this piece.

So when she gets up to do something else, and pushes her desk chair up to the desk, does it hit that foot rest?

Excellent craftsmanship as usual Mark. Good to see you again.
    Is the restaurant keeping you busy?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

we tried setting the chair up at our dining table and I mocked up the foot rest with a block...the geometry worked
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So when she gets up to do something else, and pushes her desk chair up to the desk, does it hit that foot rest?

Beautiful work. Love the tone of that sycamore.

Fantastic work, as always. Glad to see you back

Mark, Thats a really nice design, love the joinery also

Mark, that's a really nice piece...elegant, stylish and functional...as I have come to learn is your standard. It's so good to see you post again, too! 'Hope all is well with you and yours and all those things that keep you busy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Mark, I must say that this piece is exceptional. Could you please elaborate on your finishing schedule? You make the process seem simple ... was finishing a lengthy process?

Brian
    I cut the proud tenons flush with a saw. The wedges were firmly engaged with a hammer. Then I sanded 80 , 100, 120 150 220, 320 grit with my Festool 150. All edges and corners were detailed with a scraper made from a utility knife blade... the edge rolled over like with a sandvik. Curved edges were sanded with a 3m grey and white pad. Watco teak oil was applied with a cloth... and buffed out in 30 minutes. 24 hours dry time. second coat burnished when wet with 600 wet and dry... then buffed. #rd coat same as 2nd. 48 hours dry time. Then Renaissance Wax and buffed with T shirt... Its a good finish similar to Daly's. It builds faster than the regular Watco. It seems to hold up well also. I have used it for about 20 years... on and off. The wax is really good. Expensive but worth it.