Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Desk

Great Work Mark, as always!
    Sawdust is some of the best learning material!

Mark, that footrest has been rattling around my mind. Why is it there? Why not make the desk and the chair shorter, so her feet rest on the floor? She could put her feet anyplace, not just on the footrest.

Mark,
    Thanks for sharing your schedule. Do you think the finish will stand the test of time with 2 very curious little kids? :-)

Jamie,
    I agree. The thing is she was using another table that was for sewing and it had a footrest and she wanted it
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I always like your style, very nice job.

Nice piece. How do you like the sycamore? I recently used it for the first time. I love that wood. I want more.

Bret

Bret,
    The sycamore was cost effective ... $4.00 bf for quarter sawn. It is stable. It is weak as you shear across the grain. The trough mortices tended to break out. Dovetailing is difficult since any pressure tends to shear the fibers. Now I am making a bed from white quarter sawn oak and it is better to work with. The walnut is really nice! I would use sycamore again in the right application

Hi Mark, very nice work, my question is about the Sycamore. Have you worked with it before? I have read it has terrible issues with warping due to its spiral grain and QSwing helps and making it thin helps as well. Is it the US grown Sycamore?
    Im going to be building and entertainment center for myself. The doors are high gloss photo wenge look with glass in the center. The sides will be died black as well as inside ( wood to be chosen yet). The top I was thinking rock maple but now thinking maybe sycamore. I want something white-ish, looks like syacamore to me looks more like white oak color which would be fine as well.

Craig
    It does seem a little unstable even as quarter sawn. I noticed bowed panels , but when they were assembled the bowing is not an issue. It must be dry! I prefer qs white oak. I am making a bed from it now. It is hard but really nice and predictable.

Great style as all your projects have. I'm also glad to see you back, there's always something to learn when you post.
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028