Thread: Wynn Filter Advise

Wynn Filter Advise

Sorry for this elementary and likely asked question -

I have a Delta single bag DC. I recently made the Thien separator and all works great. I've noticed several recommendations to upgrade the bag to the Wynn filter. Could anyone share what improvements this upgrade will bring? I was just about ready to source one when I realized that I'm reacting to this suggestion to others without realizing the benefits.
    Thanks.

I got a Wynn filter (the paper one). I have a Delta 50-760. No Thien separator (YET!!!).

I noticed a slight increase in my dc's airflow immediately. I can't quantify it though. Also, I was going from the used bag to a new Wynn, so I don't know if I would have noticed the same airflow increase by just pounding my bag out.

I had a little tricky time getting the Wynn to seat properly on my dc. The turnbuckles didn't turn well, and I had to bend the interior flanges of the dc housing to get them to engage properly. The foam 'insulation' around the bottom of the cartridge peeled off almost immediately. I caulked mine in place, which means changing it or removing it for cleaning will be hard. I've resigned myself to cleaning it while in place with a vaccuum.

I installed a filter from Wynn about two years ago. The filter has more area than the bag, so more air passes through the filter. The filter also does a better job of capturing the smaller dust particles than the bag does, so the air is much cleaner. With a Thien separator and a better filter, your air quality should be pretty good if you have good collection at the machines.

It depends on your bag, but at a minimum, it will improve air flow due to the greater surface filtration area the pleats provide. Plus, as is the case on my HF DC, it radically improved filtration to better than 1 micron instead of the awful 5 micron of the OEM bag... There are a good number of folks out there that are using 2 micron canisters, which do improve flow via the pleated surface, but the 2 micron filtration isn't a good idea, which is why I tend to favor the Wynn...

With a thien seaparator or at least the baffle, and a Wynn filter, you should get good performance out of your DC unless you kill it with bad ducting / hose or poor hoods at the machines...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I got a Wynn filter (the paper one). I have a Delta 50-760. No Thien separator (YET!!!).

.......I had a little tricky time getting the Wynn to seat properly on my dc. The turnbuckles didn't turn well, and I had to bend the interior flanges of the dc housing to get them to engage properly. The foam 'insulation' around the bottom of the cartridge peeled off almost immediately. I caulked mine in place, which means changing it or removing it for cleaning will be hard. I've resigned myself to cleaning it while in place with a vaccuum.
    +1 I have a Delta 50-850 and had the same problem getting the Wynn to seat properly. I made a Thien separator and have been using the Wynn for a few months and just emptied the bottom bag for the first time since the modifications. I think the system's flow has dropped and notice it sucking air around the base of the filter. The turnbuckles that came with the Wynn did not work for me without modifying them and clearly they need more work. I will soon pull off the filter, blow it off with a compressor outside and see if I can come up with a better way to seat it on the DC. Thanks Prashun, I thought I was the only one!

To the OP - I too bought the Wynn on the advice of others mainy because it was 1 micron vs. the 30 micron filter originally on the DC. That said, the DC can only do so much and I am now looking at ceiling air filters and other improvements in ducting to and at each source. It is a never ending battle!
    Take off a full blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/2 blade, nope, too long, now take off 1/4 blade - How the H--- can it be 1/4" short????

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

I noticed a slight increase in my dc's airflow immediately. I can't quantify it though. Also, I was going from the used bag to a new Wynn, so I don't know if I would have noticed the same airflow increase by just pounding my bag out.

I had a little tricky time getting the Wynn to seat properly on my dc. The turnbuckles didn't turn well, and I had to bend the interior flanges of the dc housing to get them to engage properly. The foam 'insulation' around the bottom of the cartridge peeled off almost immediately. I caulked mine in place, which means changing it or removing it for cleaning will be hard. I've resigned myself to cleaning it while in place with a vaccuum.
    Did you let Wynn know about your trouble with the seal? Mine has been fine. Different DC though. The 50-760 is supposed to be a direct drop in. Yes the turnbuckles are a bit long for that model. There are lots of ideas on the Wynn site for how to deal with that...

Yes, I did let Mr. Wynn know. He responded as you did. What can I tell you? I had a hard time fitting it. I chalked my experience up to me being a knob, since most others did not have the same issue. I made it work in the end.

I would recommend the 100% spun bond filter, you can wash it out with a hose. Why would you want to do that? I cleaned mine by blowing from the outside with compressed air, tapping on the outside, vacuuming the inside and I still got about 1/2 gal. of dust & chips by hosing it out. This was before I put the Thien baffle in the D.C. I've only vacuumed it out once since installing the baffle. The people at Wynn did say that if you wash it out, let it dry for a few days so it dries thoroughly.

Blog Entries
    Meh... install the filter back on the DC and let it run for an hour or two with nothing attached to the inlet. That should dry it out
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I worry about blowing from the outside... I am concerned about potentially rupturing the filter by too high pressures... Water washing is fine for my purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by David Hostetler View Post
    I worry about blowing from the outside... I am concerned about potentially rupturing the filter by too high pressures... Water washing is fine for my purposes...
    I read someplace-don't remember where- that the burst strength of the spun bond material was 385 p.s.i. I don't know if that was wet or dry or if it mattered. I just remembered that short of using a high pressure washer on it I was okay.