Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: options for the hobbiest aspiring to be full time one day

There is quite a bit of difference in the quality of electronic components used in that FLA design vs a CW. The expanability of features to that FLA is huge. The FLA design has nothing propietary and no software restrictions. It uses a high quality Gecko brand G540 controller (if you buy their electronics kit) that is remarkable for the price. Every part in the plans are universal and generally available by many many vendors. No offense but I would not trade one FLA 4'X4' for a bench full of CWs. I think having to join up 14.5" strips of work is severely limiting and would be a major annoyance. I am guessing ALL your customers that do it - do NOT like it and would change that "feature" in a second!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Could you please put you are a CW rep in your signature. Sounds more like a sales pitch than actual facts.

By the way, the only reason I use the FLA system as an example because it's the only "ready to assemble" CNC kit I know of. Joe's is 90% DIY but I've never been on their forums so I don't know if anyone offers any service where they will send you a kit where all you need to do is assemble.
    Last edited by Ross Moshinsky; 03-25-2011 at 5:55 PM.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Signature fixed. It is and has been in my About Me, but now it is in my signature too. My intention is not to do a sales pitch, but the CarveWright reflected on this forum is the older models, and not a true reflection of what the system has grown into.

No doubt, the FLA is a fine system, my point was only that not everyone, including Derek according to his specifications, can afford it.
    Last edited by Connie Ratisseau; 03-25-2011 at 6:04 PM.
    Sales & Marketing for LHR Technologies, the makers of CarveWright System

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    Joe's is 90% DIY but I've never been on their forums so I don't know if anyone offers any service where they will send you a kit where all you need to do is assemble.
    I have not seen anyone offer a preassembled Joes or even a materials/parts kit other than unassembled MDF carriage pieces or unmachined castcnc carriage parts. I imagine it would drive up the cost accordingly - at least the price of a FLA machine I bet. Lots more steel in the Joes design so it would be pricey (as built to spec in the plans) to ship.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I have not seen anyone offer a preassembled Joes or even a materials/parts kit other than unassembled MDF carriage pieces or unmachined castcnc carriage parts. I imagine it would drive up the cost accordingly - at least the price of a FLA machine I bet. Lots more steel in the Joes design so it would be pricey (as built to spec in the plans) to ship.
    I'm not sure why no one approached Joe to offer ready to assemble kits. I think that is why FLA gained some notoriety. A lot of people want a CNC, are willing to assemble, but do not want to deal with 10 different vendors and/or drilling and tapping to a high level of accuracy. There is nothing special about the FLA kit and in fact, is kind of costly due to the use of 8020 everywhere. I think someone providing ready to assemble Joe's kits would do fairly well. Joe's design is tried and true. I'm sure people would buy it under those circumstances.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Maybe Joe doesn't want anyone else selling any type of kits, as it would cut into the sales of the kits he sells, which would appear to be quite profitable.
    Gerry

JointCAM