Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gun stock checkering

Quote Originally Posted by Richard DiMaggio View Post
    I am resurrecting this old thread to see if there is any interest in this application and if I can help anyone accomplish it...
    rj
    I would love to learn this technique.

Are you doing this in a laser that does NOT have the 3d feature?

Vicki

Vicki, to answer your question.... no. I think I understand 3D to be a true "Z" or third axis. I am attempting to come up with a solution to engraving on a curved (actually domed) surface with an attachment or plug in to a 2D (just X and Y) setup, but would probably be difficult to make something generic for all the available systems out there. It may be easier to offer the "attachment" with outputs to take over your existing table motors and laser on/off signals.
    I have seen this gun stock and gun grips applications where if you were engraving on a curved surface, you just set your focus to the half way point and blast away. Obviously, this is not the perfect solution. Better results would be obtained by having the Z axis move the part to be engraved into the focal plane while the X/Y was moving around. One step better would be to keep the surface perpindicular to the beam as well. Just moving the Z up and down does not accomplish this. I want to be able to engrave on a baseball. (or cut an eggshell!)