Thread: Need Help Fixing a Quick Release Vise

Need Help Fixing a Quick Release Vise

Hi,

I could use some help with my Lee Valley quick release steel front vise (the blue one made in the Czech Republic).

The first problem is that the quick release function is not working properly. I took the vise apart, cleaned each piece, and reassembled it. The vise works, but the quick release function does not. To get the quick release jaw to work at all, I need to push down hard on the front jaw - not when it's holding something - just when it's empty and I want to move the jaw in or out without turning the handle. Based on my total lack of mechanical knowledge, I assume that I assembled the quick release mechanism incorrectly. Problem is that I can't get a drawing of what it is supposed to look like (I already called LV).

So, I realize this is asking a lot, but I was wondering if someone with the same vise was willing to crawl under their bench, remove the plate covering the quick release mechanism, and post a picture of what it's supposed to look like. A diagram would be fine too.

My other problem doesn't require any crawling. There is a metal plate at the rear of the vise with three holes - one for each of the side rails and one for the screw. The plate is attached to the screw with a C-Ring . Ever since getting this vise, I have had problems with the C-Ring and metal plate flying off. I realize it might be me, but I was wondering whether anyone else has experienced that problem. If yes, are there any suggestions for a better way to keep that metal plate secure? I have already gone through at least half a dozen C-Rings (unfortunately, they do not just fall straight down) and thought I would post this before going out to buy some more.

Thanks in advance.

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one of these vises on my bench. Did the quick action mechanism function properly before you disassembled? I am not extremely happy with mine in that it takes two back-spins to release and then when pushed in or drawn out, it makes that chattering noise. I waxed the screw and this helped but still, not buttery smooth like my Record 53E. I have had no problems with the back plate. Perhaps you have these tubes in some sort of eccentric load in the mounting location which causes the rings to pop off and the vise not to release without lifting on the vise jaw. Check it out and if all isn't well, I may be able to remove my plate and take a photo for you. What does LV say?

David

I have one of these vises on my table and it works perfectly. The quick release is gravity dependant and must be oriented a certain way when you put it together. there's some poor verbiage about it in the instructions. for what it's worth, I don't use the back plate that would otherwise be attached via the c-clip at the end of the shafts. It just gets in the way of other things under the bench and the vice seems to work smoother without it.

Steve, I have what appears to be a very similar vise purchased from Woodcraft a few years ago. I believe mine was made in India. My quick release did the same thing. I fiddled with it a bit, and then just gave up. I find that if I wiggle the handle a little bit and push down on the quick-release handle, it finally moves down into plae. It is kind of a pain though.

It would be nice if someone had the answer here...

I did call Lee Valley and the person I spoke to has been extremely helpful. He actually took one of them apart and walked me through the mechanics step by step. Once I actually understood how the thing worked, I was able to reassemble it and it now works reliably. Not too smooth on the quick release, but it does work.

As far as I can tell, these were the issues:

1. There is a small screw on the quick release nut which holds a thin metal tab. That must be tight.
    2. When assembled, that small screw needs to be facing forward (toward the jaws)
    3. Another problem (I think) is in how the QR nut is oriented when you close it up. All of the following is described with the vise upside down, looking at it from front (the end with the jaws). Before you put the cover on, make sure the QR nut is rotated counterclockwise - the way it would be if the QR was engaged. It worked. If I started with the QR nut turned clockwise, it would "hang up" on the right side guide bar very slightly, but enough so that the QR nut never rotated counter-clockwise far enough to engage the QR mechanism. Tough to explain, and, of course, I neglected to take pictures.
    4. The last problem was that the c-ring (e-ring?) that connects the flat metal bar to the end of the screw and guide rods kept flying off. I am pretty sure the problem is that the metal bar in mine is bent. Only slightly, but enough so that there's too much play and the center screw moves around. I'm guessing that's what makes the e-ring fly off. LV is replacing the metal bar, so that should be resolved.

Lee Valley has been amazing, but I already knew that would be the case. They have gone above and beyond, even offering to replace the vise if it couldn't be repaired. Given the abuse I have put this thing through (i.e., using it on non-wood related projects), I didn't think that would be fair. It was only $150 and I've certainly gotten my money's worth already. Besides, I'm not carrying that thing to the post office.

Steve

Does anyone have a Rockler 9" quick release vise that can tell me how to assemble it. I know everything except how to position the quick release part!