Thread: Finishing sched for painting over old "pickled oak" cabinets to a beige with glaze?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Finishing sched for painting over old "pickled oak" cabinets to a beige with glaze?

img890.jpgHi,
    I have a rental with old 1993 cabinets with a "pickled oak" finish. Boxes are sound, and I don't want to put the $$ of new cabinets in there, or even new doors--I'd like to try painting over the pickled oak. Intent is to modernize it a bit and make the cabinets look better without much $$ invested.

Currently I'm seeing that an off-white solid paint, with a dark glaze wiped into the creases, is quite popular.
    reading_maple_sm.jpg
    I'm almost totally ignorant of what coatings will go over what coatings without problems, need some advice from more expert folks:
    1. I want to do this with minimum labor, so don't want to strip the pickled oak finish--it's down in the pores.
    2. Current cabinet doors are half over-lay, oak frame and panel with flat plywood centers, low end. They're kinda dirty from years of oil build up etc., and probably need some sort of cleaning before being painted?

My current plan is to wipe the doors with some kind of liquid sander or acetone to clean them, spray some interior opaque gloss on them in an off-white, then make a glaze of dark brown and wipe into corners/surface and wipe off. I tried sanding and applying various dark stains, but nothing is going over that pickled oak that doesn't totally cover it...
    img891.jpg

Comments/critiques/ideas welcome! What would you recommend for this? Or am I wasting time and effort with this stuff, is it more cost effective to just slap in new cheap stuff from Lowes?
    Last edited by Dave MacArthur; 03-22-2011 at 12:18 AM. Reason: add pics
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028