Thread: New Sublimation items

New Sublimation items

Ladies and Gents,

Been swamped lately from work overload - that's a blessing not a complaint - but I wanted to take time to point out a new item that is yet to be advertised very much (that I can find).

JFLEX is a new two sided white substrate that is glossy on one side and flat on the other. It is .030 (driver's license thickness) and has been hard to come by due to fears of fake ID's and such. But someone finally realized that we are not the bad guys and gave us the option to make these things. I've been looking for the purpose of the local fire district members and such.

To maintain TOS and not advertise any specific vendor - if you cannot find it - PM me and I'll let you know where I've found it so far.

ALSO - on the SubliCrylics - HOLY COW - these are as good as they are ramped up to be using my Ricoh. Several vendors have them in stock - I've already started asking them to make some in 1/4" - could you imagine a piece of this that you could cut into shapes and then still be able to put full color on them - GAME ON!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

I forgot to mention, this was a low-res image straight off of a white tiger sight. I was trying to get some greens, blues, reds and white in the first image, but this was cool enough. With it in the window - I've had many request for this stuff already and just finally was able to get my first shipment and make a couple for sale...
    Steve Beckham

Epilog Mini 24 with 45 Watt, Ricoh GX 7000 Sublimation, Corel X3, Corel X4 and PhotoGrav, Recently replaced the two 'used' SWF machines with brand new Barudans.

Blog Entries
    Steve,

Unless you're making a profit off of it, it's perfectly acceptable to post a link... I'm interested.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Dan,

The SubliCrylics are being carried by JDS and Johson Plastics right now (others have told me they are going to carry them soon - price shop them for best $$) and the JFlex is only being carried by Johnson Plastics to my knowledge. The JFlex is numbered Jflex1 for the 12x24 sheet, 2 or 3 for the larger size sheets. If you google 'jflex1 plastic' it will come up with the proper link - hopefully that doesn't cause a problem with the TOS.
    Steve Beckham

I have seen the SubliCrylics, they are nice, albiet a bit pricey for what I think I could sell them for.

I do like the idea of sheets, though, the one thing with sheets laser cut is since dye sub is heat
    sensitive if would degrade the edge for the image transfer.

On the other product, that will get me thinking! I like new products that create a "new sell" as opposed
    to just replacing one item with another. This definatily fits the bill!

Thanks for bring it to our attention!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Steve

Glad to hear things are going so well but it's good to see you back on the forum. Can you post something you've done with the JFlex?
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    I do like the idea of sheets, though, the one thing with sheets laser cut is since dye sub is heat
    sensitive if would degrade the edge for the image transfer.
    I have laser cut lots of the sheet material and I can assure you that there is no degradation of the image around the edges, none whatsoever.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I have laser cut lots of the sheet material and I can assure you that there is no degradation of the image around the edges, none whatsoever.

Gary

Gary, every once in a while when cutting Dye Sub hardstock (I get it from Conde I love it!) I do get some
    yellowing on the edges, typically you don't see it because it's opaque and usually blends in with the image.

From Stephen's post it didn't sound like SubliCrylic in .25" sheets is available yet. Glad to see someone is using it and it works!

I am always looking for something I can laser cut and transfer color to to give plaques some 3D effects.
    If you could let me know where you are getting the .25" sheets and approx price that would be great!
    (hopefully that have it in smaller sizes than 4x8')

Thanks for your insight!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

I was wondering about how SubliCrylic would do in a LED Light Base?.....

I too would love SubliCrylic in 1/4 inch AND 3/16....

I have 6 sheets of .030 on order from JP to make Fire ID's as requested by my Customer. I am going to try Epoxy Dome over it too....

JP also added the 2 sided Gloss Hardboard in 24 x 48 to the same page of the Catalog.... I was getting it by request as it was a shelf item for something they make internally. I have 6 Sheets on the way too. I am a buying fool...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Gary, every once in a while when cutting Dye Sub hardstock (I get it from Conde I love it!) I do get some
    yellowing on the edges, typically you don't see it because it's opaque and usually blends in with the image.
    I get mine from Johnson Plastics but I can't imagine that they are very different. I always mask before I cut, maybe that's why I don't get any discoloring, I peel the mask and it's virtually perfect underneath. I can't remember the price last time I bought them but I bought 24" x 48" pieces and usually buy the equivalent of a couple of 4x8 sheets. Check with Kevin at Johnson, he'll give you a great price on whatever size/quantity you need.

Gary

Thanks Gary!

I left a message with Kevin to call back about the .25" SubliCrylic sheets am anxious to try it!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    I was wondering about how SubliCrylic would do in a LED Light Base?.....

I too would love SubliCrylic in 1/4 inch AND 3/16....

I have 6 sheets of .030 on order from JP to make Fire ID's as requested by my Customer. I am going to try Epoxy Dome over it too....

JP also added the 2 sided Gloss Hardboard in 24 x 48 to the same page of the Catalog.... I was getting it by request as it was a shelf item for something they make internally. I have 6 Sheets on the way too. I am a buying fool...

AL
    Al,

JP carries 2 sided hardboard? Great I have a client that was just asking about that a few days ago.
    How thick is it?

How are you doming?

I have some samples Epoxies.com (they send pint Epoxies for samples can't beat that!)
    They are sending me Deco-Coat DC-2501R Epoxy Resin. Have you ever used this?

I'm not set up for UV so what would you recommend? these will only be a couple at a
    time type thing.

I'm thinking of combining engraving with the SubliCrylic either on the front or backside.
    I think it may come out pretty cool depending upon the design.

Thanks!

Marty
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I get mine from Johnson Plastics but I can't imagine that they are very different. I always mask before I cut, maybe that's why I don't get any discoloring, I peel the mask and it's virtually perfect underneath. I can't remember the price last time I bought them but I bought 24" x 48" pieces and usually buy the equivalent of a couple of 4x8 sheets. Check with Kevin at Johnson, he'll give you a great price on whatever size/quantity you need.

Gary
    I guess we got mixed up a bit, Kevin called and wasn't aware of SubliCrylic in .25 sheets
    I did order some JFlex though to have instock because it does sound usefull!

Thanks!
    Martin Boekers

Geo Knight K Mug Press,

Al,

JP carries 2 sided hardboard? Great I have a client that was just asking about that a few days ago.
    How thick is it?

How are you doming?

I have some samples Epoxies.com (they send pint Epoxies for samples can't beat that!)
    They are sending me Deco-Coat DC-2501R Epoxy Resin. Have you ever used this?

I'm not set up for UV so what would you recommend? these will only be a couple at a
    time type thing.

I'm thinking of combining engraving with the SubliCrylic either on the front or backside.
    I think it may come out pretty cool depending upon the design.

Thanks!

Marty
    Marty,

Yes, I have a box of 6 hardboard sheets here... 24 x 48. Same as the Gloss Clipboard material.

I do the Doming on FRP name tags using the Epoxies.com UV Cure. I have 3 four foot Shop Lights and 6 black lights and a shelf to keep the tags close to the lights. Works Great. I tried the 2 part mix but the waste and mess... It will stay clear longer in sunlight, better than the UV Cure. But for my uses, I love the UV..... I have had a problem in the summer with insects flying in my shop at night and sticking to the epoxy as it's just a big BUG LIGHT..... without the Zapper.... LOL.... I learned to close the door and run the AC....

I am looking forward to a 1/4 inch and 3/16th SubliCrylic but there is not a big call for it.... so we will most likely not see it.... All we can do is ask....

The .030 Sublimating Plastic looks good.... got some of that too.

AL

My doming oven. You don't really need the hardware to pull the tray. A wooden box would work and just slide the tray in and out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 03-31-2011 at 4:20 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".