Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Dust Collector related

I too have a dust collector in the corner. But I do have a hybrid system part ducted and part hose usage. Hope to duct more in the future but plan on always using hose to connect movable machinery.

Jim

I have 2 runs one around to my RAS & soon to my CMS this one can't be seen because it is on the floor next to the wall. T

The Combination sander is right in front of the DC & is hooked up to the other leg of the Y straight off the DC & Y'd down to 2 Vac hoses one for the wheel & the other for th belt.

The other side of the Y goes across the ceiling & drops to a Y & 2 hoses for the Cabinet-saw & Jointer.The Jointer hose is long enough to be unplugged & run to the portable planer.

I use the shop vac on my Jet spindle sander. The 12" band-saw has no DC connection, I have a 4" connection fastened at an angle under the 14" band-saw table that about 1/2 the time isn't used.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 01-29-2005 at 12:24 AM.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Talking

I have a Delta 1.5HP unit "in a closet". Using 4" sewer duct work and blast gates, the unit services my table saw, SCMS, planer, band saw, jointer, router [table] and a floor sweep. The Jet OSS, Delta sanding center, circular saw, biscuit jointer, and ROS are serviced by my Festool dust extractor. The rest is serviced by Norwegian Steam - a broom!
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Mine is in the corner with a hose like yours, but I'm in the process of buying the piping to set up a central system. I'll be done in a couple of weeks, I would think.

-Tom

I've got the DC unit in a corner, but I'm working on extending 6" PVC to most of the tools. I'm still getting things organized, but I think I will probably end up with the jointer and the planer sharing a ten foot drop of 6" flex hose. Here's a shot of the cyclone and the ductwork so far. It is still a work in progress!

Lewis

I just have two 10' flex hoses from my 1-1/2 HP Harbor Freight DC - one dedicated to the table saw, one that I move between the planer and the CMS. For the router and drill press, I use a broom.
    GO EAGLES!

Small shop solution: 1 1/2hp Delta with .5 micron bags, 4" S&D pipe. I removed the separator that I used to have that is in the picture below:

Well, my Dust Collection is fairly primitive. It is one of those little portable Delta collectors and I don't even have wheels for it. So, I have to pick the whole thing up and move it. Sucks pretty bad - the setup. It actually works well as far as Collecting Dust.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Antwarg
    Well, my Dust Collection is fairly primitive. It is one of those little portable Delta collectors and I don't even have wheels for it. So, I have to pick the whole thing up and move it. Sucks pretty bad - the setup. It actually works well as far as Collecting Dust.

Stefan
    Well I have part duct, part hose. I tried to run ducts as close to the tools as I could, but my tools are mobile, so I have to use about 7 feet of flex hose to connect to the ducts.

Jeff

I have a "small" Jet that moves from machine to machine. It's sort of cumbersome but a lot cheaper and easier than trying to "duct" the garage. In a one person, hobby, shop this seems perfectlly adequate.

Mother Nature's Answer

For my planer, jointer, router table, cms, and some portable hand tools, i.e., circular saw, I move them outside my shop on the cocrete drive and the wind blows the dust into the sugarcane field next door. I expect I'll get complaints when the sugar starts tasting like walnuts or cherries.
    18th century nut --- Carl

I have my tools hard plumbed into the DC. My DC is a 2 horse model that is in another room. I try to run minimal flex hose due to the pressure loss.
    Jim

I am just getting my cyclone setup, I built this stand for it. The vertical piece of 6" piping lifts off the stand. My thought is to lay it on the floor over to my tablesaw. I haven't used it this way yet. I still need to find a quick disconnect device so I don't have to pull the entire piece of 6" flexible pipe down.

Dust that hits the floor doesn't really bother me, it is the stuff that floats in the air that is really bad for you. I have only turned a few pieces since I got the dust collector hooked up (it sat in pieces for about two years before I got around to it) It was amazing to not have the fine dust floating around. I still need to figure out a better way to move the dust hood around. It worked fine on a bowl but not for a spindle.

I have a full 1/2" clearance between the top of the motor and my garage door. I made it as short as I could and felt pretty good that it all fit.

Welcome Randy

Let me be the 1st to welcome you to the creek. Very nice cyclone, and great job at keeping it under the garage door. Do you happen to know the total height of the unit?

David

87" to the bottom of my garage door
    86.5" to the top of the motor
    The blower hangs from crossbars at 76.25"
    I had to shorten the flex hose to the drum to about 6". This makes it a little difficult to lift the lid off the drum. I am going to put some bungee cords on the lid to help lift it slightly. Mine has a 2hp Leeson motor. It is not super loud but I will probably buy the muffler or possible try to build one.

I am more of a lurker than a poster but thought you all might like to see the stand.