Thread: Camber/Radius on #5

Camber/Radius on #5

Do you fellas put a slight camber on your jack plane irons, a continuous radius, or leave them square? If a radius, what size is preferable?

I have one No.5 for each..

But even my square blades have a slight camber of .003 (piece of paper) or more as its hard to get a blade to cut a .001 shaving across the whole lenght unless you really watch what your doing..

I do have a No5 with about .015 camber per side for semi roughing but I like to use a No 5 1/4 more with the big .015 camber as a big semi scrub..

Real scrub use a 5"- 8" raidus
    aka rarebear - Hand Planes 101 - RexMill - The Resource

Blog Entries
    I like to have a camber on most of my irons. my 5 and 6 have a medium camber, I have no idea what it measures to I can take a 3 to 4 thou shaving without tracks. I have a bit less camber on my 7, and a bit less camber still on my smoothers. My LAJ has no camber and my scrub has a lot.

I find that when using the plane I will decide if it could use a bit more or less camber, then focus a bit more on either the center or the edges of the iron when sharpening next.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Like always, it depends on what you're using it for. I have a few blades for my No. 5 that get swapped out depending on the task at hand. I use mine primarily for flattening stock so there are two blades with a radius of about 10" (something I patterned long ago. Since then I've just copied what's there, more or less). That radius can range from 8"-12" depending on how aggressive you want to be. I keep a third blade squared off for more general work. That has only slight relief given to both sides to avoid tracking marks.