Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Grizzly table saw to buy?

Which Grizzly table saw to buy?

I am in the market for my first cabinet saw. I have decided to buy a Grizzly but am unsure which one I should buy. The 2 saws I have narrowed it down to are the G0691 and the G1023RLX. Looking at the specs they are almost the exact same saw except for the Leeson motor on the 691. Can someone please give me some input on this??

I have the 0690 and find it meets all of my current needs. A couple of the selling points for me were the Leeson motor and the dust chute on the right side.

Here is what I think of my 1023RL. I have had it for over 7 months and still love it. I hear the 690 is nice also.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hlight=g1023rl

Cany anyone tell me the difference between the 2?

G0690 - 3 v-belts(old Unisaw design), Asian made Leeson motor, no dust shroud, slightly different fence. dust hookup on the right(4" collects the cabinet)
    G1023RL - new Serpentine belt design, no name Asian motor, dust shroud, Shop fox classic fence, dust hookup on the back(4" that collects cabinet and shroud)

OOPs, my bad. I checked and see that the RLX also has a riving knife.

I'll defer to the other replies.
    Last edited by Cody Colston; 03-24-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I've had my 1023 for several years and I'm really satisfied. It's an older version with no rivening knife but it sure hasn't slowed me down. I run a Forest blade in it and have great results. Has the Beismeyer knock off fence and that works great too. I think I paid just a little over $800 delivered when purchased.

Cary nailed the differences for you...all except color. I have the 691, little over a year now and I love it. I recently helped a fellow Creeker, Adrian, assemble his new 1023. It is also a very nice saw. Haven't talked to him to see how he likes the blade shroud for dust pick up, but it looked like it would work very well. Fit and finish on both are nice. It is possible that the Leeson (made in China) motor is more efficient, if the numbers on Grizzly's web site are correct, but both will spin a blade. I still think I would go with the 691 for me. Having the dust pick up on the right side of the saw was a big thing for me. It cuts down one more 90 degree angle at the saw. The 691 also has has this pick up on a separate door which made it very easy to enlarge to 6" and not disturb the integrity of the saw's cabinet. Another big feature for me. I would like to have the blade shroud, but I've seen no problems with my set up collecting dust. I think I need to increase the number of air intake slots on the motor cover for better flow. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    It is possible that the Leeson (made in China) motor is more efficient, if the numbers on Grizzly's web site are correct, but both will spin a blade. I still think I would go with the 691 for me. .
    The numbers on Grizzly's website are wrong. I don't remember what they are from the motor tag but they were in line with the Leeson. I can look them up if you want. I think the manual has them correct.

I've been "stalking" (lusting, drooling, and saving...) both of these saws for a while and also noticed the inconsistency Cary noted about the motor and circuit size on the web site for the G1023RL. The short "Specification Sheet" lists a 30A circuit, but if you read the manual, it says 15A circuit (220v) for all versions but the 5HP G1023RLWX, which does say 30A circuit.

If one goes by the data in the manuals, the motors draw 14A for the G1023RL (15A circuit recommended) and 12.8A for the G0690/1 (20A circuit recommended). So it seems to me they're probably similar motors (or at least close in efficiency). Though I don't understand the different circuit size recommendations unless that's just editing issues and such in the manuals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim O'Dell View Post
    Cary nailed the differences for you...all except color. I have the 691, little over a year now and I love it. I recently helped a fellow Creeker, Adrian, assemble his new 1023. It is also a very nice saw. Haven't talked to him to see how he likes the blade shroud for dust pick up, but it looked like it would work very well. Fit and finish on both are nice. It is possible that the Leeson (made in China) motor is more efficient, if the numbers on Grizzly's web site are correct, but both will spin a blade. I still think I would go with the 691 for me. Having the dust pick up on the right side of the saw was a big thing for me. It cuts down one more 90 degree angle at the saw. The 691 also has has this pick up on a separate door which made it very easy to enlarge to 6" and not disturb the integrity of the saw's cabinet. Another big feature for me. I would like to have the blade shroud, but I've seen no problems with my set up collecting dust. I think I need to increase the number of air intake slots on the motor cover for better flow. Jim.

Jim,
    Seeing as you have had your hands on both of the saws I am looking at could you compare the fences for me? I have had my hands on the Shop Fox fence and it is extremely smooth. I have not used seen or touched the grizzly fence. Is there a big difference between them?

I have always considered the 690/1023 TS a conundrum in the Grizzly line. I can help but wonder if the 690 series saws were meant to replace or be more or less expensive than the 1023 line by a couple of hundred dollars. It seems like they should have given the 690 series all the benefits of the 1023 and more and priced it a little higher and make it the clear top of the line Grizzly 10" cabinet saw. There line of bandsaws are perfectly poised to cause budget creep but the table saw line is nowhere near as linear.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Duske View Post
    Jim,
    Seeing as you have had your hands on both of the saws I am looking at could you compare the fences for me? I have had my hands on the Shop Fox fence and it is extremely smooth. I have not used seen or touched the grizzly fence. Is there a big difference between them?
    Ben, I didn't use the 1023R saw, but handling the fence, I'd say there are a few differences between them that make the decision on which is better about as easy as deciding which of the two saws are better. There are some slight differences, but both should do the job. I can't remember for sure, but I think the pads the fence rides the tube on are flat, more like the Biese fence pads. The 690/1 fence uses round buttons that the fence rides on that adjust in and out. It gives it more adjustment capabilities, but I really don't know if it is better or not. It was getting late when we got to the point of setting the fence on Adrian's 1023R, so I don't think we checked the face for flatness...a problem that several with the 690/1 fence have complained about. Mine is not flat either, I just haven't taken the time to true it up. I'll let the owners of the Shop Fox fence chime in with more accurate information on that part of the fence.
    Personally, I'm thinking strongly about buying some longer rails for my Biese fence, put them on my 691, and adjust the rails on my Ridgid contractor saw so that the fence will swap back and forth without adjustments. I might try to replace the sides on the 691 fence first since that would definitely be cheaper. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

14. I spoke with a tech (not a salesperson..they don't have a clue) at Grizzly today as I'm in the same boat. My statement was, "I'm 58 and want to buy a saw I'll be happy with for the rest of my life." He said without question, go with the G1023 series; and preferably, the RLWX, if you can afford it. He said this for 2 reasons which hit home for me. The RLWX has 5HP vs 3HP and the RLWX has much more substantial trunions which will dramatically aid in the saw's repeatability. When you set this saw up to make a cut, you lock it down and it will repeat the same exact cut time after time after time due to the size, weight and shear mass of the trunions on which the blade housing rests. Vibration will not affect it as it is simply too heavy to be affected like lighter trunions will from vibration. That sold me on spending the extra bucks knowing at 59 years old, I will be spending the rest of my life with this baby. I want to love it as much at 75 as I do when I complete it's assembly. That's my two cents worth.
    Last edited by Joseph McDade; 04-12-2016 at 2:44 AM.

Ok can's speak to one, but for the 1023, I used one for over 10 years and it was a great saw. I had the 1023slx with 7' rails. It did everything I asked and never lost alignment once set. I paid around 1200 for delivered and sold it for 800 a couple years ago. Only sold to upgrade to a 5hp ICS sawstop. Mine was before the riving knife days so that would have been real nice. Mine had just a griz label motor and it never failed.