Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Grizzly table saw to buy?

I've had the 1023RLX for about 2 years now. I would buy it again today if I needed another table saw. The fence is smooth and accurate. Dust collection is as good as any table saw I've ever owned or used. Plenty of power. You will be a happy camper if you purchase the 1023RLX. I also bought the mobile base and I can move it around with very little effort. It is a great saw.

Red
    RED

Hi,

I have the 1023RLWX. One of the things that I liked over the G0690 was the single serpentine belt VS multiple V belts, which have to be matched in length when replaced.

I also liked the idea of the 5 HP motor. The HP is there if you need it, although in my case I rarely, if ever, work my saw that hard.

The fence that came with the saw is still in the box. I put my Unifence on the saw, as I like the features the Unifence offers...

Either of the two saws in question will perform equally well for you. I would buy the 1023 again in a heartbeat, but had I bought the 690 I am sure I would feel the same way about that saw as well.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I have the 1023, but have only had it a couple of weeks. So far I like it a lot. I really struggled with the decision between the two saws and until right at the end was leaning to the 690. I wish the 1023 had the dust port on the side as it would be easier for me to reach and I hear you don't have to got through the side door to put in the riving knife which would also be nice for me as I have a bad knee and it is difficult to get down and under. Otherwise I really like the 1023. It is a real pleasure to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    ...and I hear you don't have to got through the side door to put in the riving knife which would also be nice for me as I have a bad knee and it is difficult to get down and under. Otherwise I really like the 1023. It is a real pleasure to use.
    First I heard this comment...I have only had my riving knife out a couple times but always did it from the top. Are you sure you cannot do it from the top?

You got me questioning my memory now! Have to go and remove the riving knife now to make sure what I am saying is correct!

Edit: I just removed my riving knife from the top and put it back in. Total time maybe 20 seconds or less. Naturally had to remove my zero clearance insert so my hand could go down and release the riving knife clamp. Piece of cake...my saw is a couple years old. Is your newer one different in some way?

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 04-12-2016 at 3:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cole View Post
    I have the 1023, but have only had it a couple of weeks. So far I like it a lot. I really struggled with the decision between the two saws and until right at the end was leaning to the 690. I wish the 1023 had the dust port on the side as it would be easier for me to reach and I hear you don't have to got through the side door to put in the riving knife which would also be nice for me as I have a bad knee and it is difficult to get down and under. Otherwise I really like the 1023. It is a real pleasure to use.

I have always removed the riving knife from the top. I don't know who started that rumor but I have heard it several times. To me it looks like the door on the side is for clearance for the dust shroud hose when you tilt the blade to 45. I love my G1023RL but I was playing with the fence on the 690 and think it is just a little bit smoother sliding up and down the rail.

Not to hijack--but seems to be part of the same discussion...Watching used TS ads for the past few years and again while reading this thread, it appears that there are two different series of G1023 table saws. The older series of which i've seen the majority be right tilt (late 1980's maybe?), and the newer series. Has the 1023 been an evolution to the current model, or did they revive an old number for some reason? Are the guts of the older and newer versions similar or completely different?

If this doesn't belong as part of this discussion, have the Mods let me know and i'll be happy to post a separate question. Thanks!!
    earl

I will have to look into it tomorrow. I was just going by the manual "2. Raise the blade up all the way, then openthe right access door and locate the quickrelease lever (see Figure 41)." Maybe the quick release lever can be reached from above. I will look into that as it would be a lot easier for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    Not to hijack--but seems to be part of the same discussion...Watching used TS ads for the past few years and again while reading this thread, it appears that there are two different series of G1023 table saws. The older series of which i've seen the majority be right tilt (late 1980's maybe?), and the newer series. Has the 1023 been an evolution to the current model, or did they revive an old number for some reason? Are the guts of the older and newer versions similar or completely different?

If this doesn't belong as part of this discussion, have the Mods let me know and i'll be happy to post a separate question. Thanks!!
    earl
    The old 1023(SL?) without the riving knife was a copy of the Unisaw design. I believe there was a right and left tilt version at one time. Around 2010 The 690 came out and it has the Unisaw design with a retrofitted riving knife. The 1023RL was completely redesigned from the ground up with a dovetailed way , riving knife and a serpentine belt. It would have made more sense to have the models swapped. I don't know why they did it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    The old 1023(SL?) without the riving knife was a copy of the Unisaw design. I believe there was a right and left tilt version at one time. Around 2010 The 690 came out and it has the Unisaw design with a retrofitted riving knife. The 1023RL was completely redesigned from the ground up with a dovetailed way , riving knife and a serpentine belt. It would have made more sense to have the models swapped. I don't know why they did it that way.
    I agree. About the only significant thing the new 1023 has in common with the old 1023 is the Shop Fox Classic fence. The underpinnings are completely different.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Assuming the OP bought a saw, he has now had 5 years to decide how he likes it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    I agree. About the only significant thing the new 1023 has in common with the old 1023 is the Shop Fox Classic fence. The underpinnings are completely different.
    Thanks Cary & Scott. Yep, i've seen a few of the 1023-S's that were left tilt, but mostly have been righties. All that i've seen locally have had sellers that were "proud" in their pricing. I'd forgotten about the dovetailed ways in the current 1023's. The response is appreciated--i've been curious for too long.
    earl

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Assuming the OP bought a saw, he has now had 5 years to decide how he likes it.
    Yikes! Was Rick the first to notice that? I sure did't... 😡

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Yikes! Was Rick the first to notice that? I sure did't... 
    This might be an old thread, but it's still relevant because both saws (G1023RL# and G0691) are still/currently available. One of these is on my shopping list, but I've been holding off on making any purchase decisions until after this year's Tent Sale event. I'm hoping I might get lucky there and the decision will be made for me

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    This might be an old thread, but it's still relevant because both saws (G1023RL# and G0691) are still/currently available. One of these is on my shopping list, but I've been holding off on making any purchase decisions until after this year's Tent Sale event. I'm hoping I might get lucky there and the decision will be made for me
    Granted there are many old threads that have value and can be found with a search.

But bringing back old very old threads can cause those of us who miss the original posting date to respond as if the question is current...which is of no use to the original poster of five years ago, and perhaps of less use than might have resulted from responses to a new post asking a current question.

Right or wrong, if I see a very old thread appear I tend to ignore it. I suspect others may as well. So I am just sayin' that posting a new thread is probably the best way to get maximum input from members here. After doing a search to glean what information may already be available in the archives, of course.

Bill

Blog Entries
    At least folks at the Creek are gentle when old threads get brought up. The admins at some forums get downright nasty if you try to resurrect an old thread. Personally I don't have a problem with it.
    NOW you tell me...