Thread: Out with the old...

Out with the old...

Well, today was the day! My 8 year old 52” Jet Xacta TS with Jessem Lift and Bosch router was sold and picked up. A few hours later my new Sawstop Professional 52” model was delivered. Pretty good timing! I will post images as soon as I have the saw assembled. I will have a saw lift party tomorrow at noon as it needs to be set in the Industrial mobile base. (which is recommended for the 3HP Prof model) A conversion kit comes with the base to adapt to the Professional and takes about 1/2 hour to install. Once together, I will be making a router table on the right laminate extension since my shop is small and I just don’t have the space for a dedicated router table. I have a PRL-V2 Woodpeckers lift going in and then I will have to rout channels for T-track for a Rockler fence. I will not be putting a mitre slot in as this would entail cutting into the saw’s rails which I don’t really want to do. I wil also be adding a downdraft dust collection box. I will then build a folding outfeed table somewhat following Jim Becker’s model. However, the fixed portion of my table will have to be narrower than his Again, small shop and I park my car in there when I can. Anyway , for those of you who are interested I will keep you apprised of my progress.
    Here are pics of the old and the new.
    saw-outfeed.jpg the-new.jpg

I wouldn't mind having the old, although I AM happy with my 52" Steel City.

Dennis, I too am a Sawstop owner. Unlike you, mine was my first cabinet saw. I was wondering what the process was that led up to you replacing an already really nice set up with the SS. Was it a move rooted purely in risk mitigation or did you just feel due for an upgrade, or a mix of both?

Congrats, you'll love the saw.

I finally put a miter slot on my SS router table extension. Yeah, had to notch the rails with a grinder. But, mine is four years old. I could NEVER have brought myself to do it to my machine when it was all new and shiny like yours. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Dennis, I too am a Sawstop owner. Unlike you, mine was my first cabinet saw. I was wondering what the process was that led up to you replacing an already really nice set up with the SS. Was it a move rooted purely in risk mitigation or did you just feel due for an upgrade, or a mix of both?

Well, Johnny, its like this. I've been involved with woodworking/metalworking for over thirty years and so far I've beat the statistics. BUT, I'm getting older(and sometimes dumber, I think), so I thought to myself, the technology is available in a terrific saw, I can afford it ( especially if I get a good price for my older one) AND I'm a guy and it's a new toy! The Jet was a terrific setup and did me well for many years and this one will be my last. (my first TS was a Powermatic contractor)Oh, yes, and I didn't have to clear it with the wife since I haven't had one in a while![QUOTE=johnny means;1667496]Dennis, I too am a Sawstop owner. Unlike you, mine was my first cabinet saw. I was wondering what the process was that led up to you replacing an already really nice set up with the SS. Was it a move rooted purely in risk mitigation or did you just feel due for an upgrade, or a mix of both?
    Last edited by Dennis French; 03-24-2011 at 12:32 AM. Reason: messed up

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post

Well, Johnny, its like this. I've been involved with woodworking/metalworking for over thirty years and so far I've beat the statistics. BUT, I'm getting older(and sometimes dumber, I think), so I thought to myself, the technology is available in a terrific saw, I can afford it ( especially if I get a good price for my older one) AND I'm a guy and it's a new toy! The Jet was a terrific setup and did me well for many years and this one will be my last. (my first TS was a Powermatic contractor)Oh, yes, and I didn't have to clear it with the wife since I haven't had one in a while!

Quote Originally Posted by michael case View Post
    I finally put a miter slot on my SS router table extension. Yeah, had to notch the rails with a grinder. But, mine is four years old. I could NEVER have brought myself to do it to my machine when it was all new and shiny like yours. Enjoy!
    My old saw 's router lift was so large that it negated having a mitre slot but I really never missed it. When I had do to do cross grain or small work I used a coping sled and a year or so ago I got an Incra jig. You're right, I really didn't want to have to take my angle grinder to this brand new $3000 piece of equipment!

Dennis,congrats on the new saw. I have that same model and like it a lot. Good move on putting the router table in the extension, but if you are going to use the SS laminate table, spend some effort reinforcing it. My table sagged about 1/4" in the middle after normal use (no router table), because the framing underneath is sort of a joke. SS sent me a replacement, but I had already built a new table with a router insert, and just haven't made the time to go back to the black laminate.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

I recently bought a SS PCS. I had to wait over a week until last night to start setting it up because I had a mobile base built upon which I can build up cabinets and a router enclosure on the right hand side. I took my cast iron benchdog table off my ridgid TS and will put it on the right side of the PCS. And yes I will grind out areas on the brand new rails to match the miter slots on my benchdog. A little primer and black spray paint and it will look brand new.

Hey Dennis
    Congrats on the new SS, Ive been thinking about one these saws for years now.I should be thinking of my safety rather than the prestige of my old Unisaw. Good Job !!
    I Love My Dedicated Machines ! And My Dedicated Wife Loves Me !

Blog Entries
    I just want to point out that if you have room for a 52" fence and an out feed table, you do not have a small shop
    Congrats on the new bling.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT Fitzgerald View Post
    Dennis,congrats on the new saw. I have that same model and like it a lot. Good move on putting the router table in the extension, but if you are going to use the SS laminate table, spend some effort reinforcing it. My table sagged about 1/4" in the middle after normal use (no router table), because the framing underneath is sort of a joke. SS sent me a replacement, but I had already built a new table with a router insert, and just haven't made the time to go back to the black laminate.
    Yes, I agree with you John. The reinforcing framework of the table is minimal and pine to boot, so I will reinforce it. It is the only compromise I have seen in an otherwise very high quality package. Thanks for the input!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Gibson View Post
    I just want to point out that if you have room for a 52" fence and an out feed table, you do not have a small shop
    Congrats on the new bling.
    Hmmmm, I THOUGHT it was small! Thanks Andrew!

A little hiccup today

Yesterday I worked on cutting out and routing for a Woodpecker router lift and also routed in T-track channels for the Rockler router fence. It went well and looks great. However, as I was getting down at an angle with the light just so I noticed a very slight "hill" in the laminate surface. I looked under the table and it was exactly at a point where the framework was screwed into the bottom. My curiosity aroused, I got my LED work-light and shined it at an angle across the table surface and sure enough, there were a bunch more. Most you cannot feel but a couple you can. The factory screws were driven in too far. That said, I was also disappointed that the framework was a soft pine instead of a maple or birch. Also, considering quality of the rest of the saw (superb) it would have been nice if the substrate was baltic birch instead of MDF. Luckily I wasn’t planning on doing any high precision routing any time soon so the table will be fine until the replacement arrives and I find the time to go through the process once again. So I would advise that anyone buying a a Sawstop carefully inspect their laminate table before installing. Otherwise this unit is a dream to use!!! Sorry for the lousy image of the "bump", but at least you can see what I mean.
    table-bulge 2.jpgSawstop with router lift and T-track installed.jpg