Thread: Hammer Jointer/Planer

Hammer Jointer/Planer

I just noticed that Hammer has revamped its Jointer/Planer machines. There is now a 10 inch model, the 12 inch and the 16 inch. From what I can tell, the main difference is with the tables (it now lifts as one mechanism) and the fence mounting seems to have changed. Both look like substantial improvements from the old design. It looks similar to what they offer on the 500 series machines. I have the 310 (12 inch machine) and love it after a few years of use and the two things that I have not liked are having to lift both tables to get into planer mode and lifting the fence on and off (which you do not need to worry about in the new mode).

Scot

Hi Scott, can't you slide the fence back and just tip up the infeed table?

Regards, Rod.

I have an A3-31. I don't remove the fence to convert to planer mode. I just slide it back so it hangs off the outfeed table, but is still connected to the table. It clears the infeed table when I tilt the tables up.

Right. Scot, I have a MM CU300 and the tables tilt independently like the Hammer (bat-wings). I believe yours would work the same. Just slide the jointer fence to the extreme outside of your tables on the guiderail, lock it in place, and lift your tables. The fence should stay put. Mine has never budged and it appears that others have the same experience.

Good luck!
    A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others.
    Ayn Rand

You can do it, but I find it just easier to take it off and put it back on...with the new version you can leave the fence in position and just flip the tables. I also modified my machine and have a 700 series fence on it instead of the standard Hammer fence. They are close in size, but I had to modify the bottom with a t-bolt and nylon cap screw to keep the fence from scraping the tables so this would make moving it back a little less convenient. It's not that big of a deal, but easier if you can leave everything as is. I also like the addition of the 10 inch machine to the line-up -- could give some good options for folks in the market for a machine but do not have the footprint or budget for the 12 inch or 16 inch machines.

Scot

So I go check out the Hammer videos
    http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/produ...31-videos.html
    and like what I see. Definitely some cool changes from my A3-31. I like the non-batwing table lift. Did they change the cutterhead/knife setup as well? I didn't think mine had double-edged reversible knives but I'd have to check for sure.
    Use the fence Luke

I've had my A3-31 for less that 2 weeks and Felder has a new version. I do like how the tables go up together and adjusting the fence is not necessary. I think I also heard in the video that you can buy the A3 in just a jointer or just a planer. I also noticed the price for the 12in has gone up to $3900.

~mark

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard View Post
    So I go check out the Hammer videos
    http://www.hammerusa.com/us-us/produ...31-videos.html
    and like what I see. Definitely some cool changes from my A3-31. I like the non-batwing table lift. Did they change the cutterhead/knife setup as well? I didn't think mine had double-edged reversible knives but I'd have to check for sure.
    Your knives will be double-sided and the same cutter-block. The blade guard on the new machine is curved. My machine is going on four years old and works just as well today as when it was new.

Scot