Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Dream Shop Starting with Location

A Dream Shop Starting with Location

I want to build custom furniture again. I'm willing to move to any part of the USA and build my dream! I need ideas and feedback.

The ideal set-up would be in an rural area with plentiful Walnut and other hardwoods. I want to saw my own logs into lumber. I plan on having logs delivered,not cutting down the trees.

I'll build the shop and house myself.

What part of the country has the most Walnut? Low property and state income taxes would be a plus.

Wow, tabula rasa, eh? Did you just win the lottery or something?

This ought to get you started:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...2005walnut.PNG
    (looks like China is your best bet )

Wow, China has that much Walnut? I do like Asian food.

OK, I'll play: Brown County, Indiana.

Hi Chris,
    I'm retired. I worked hard and invested with luck when I was young. Now I have the money to spent on my dream.
    Mike Jarvi inspired me with his work. How cool would it be to have a mill IN your shop?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3utt2Y5aH0

Take me with you!

I don't have any location recommendations aside from, definitely NOT California. Best of luck in your journey - hope you'll keep us updated with lots of photos through the whole process.

I just watched that whole video, Andrew. Incredible and very inspirational. I hope you find that kind of Zen in China.

Coincidentally, the mill in my shop is for sale in the classifieds section right this very moment. Not quite as large, mind you.
    Last edited by Chris Nolin; 03-24-2011 at 2:17 PM.

Interesting video. Cool how he used the bandsaw mill to do a lot more than just cut the slab. Actually, I don't quite now how else it could have been done so easily. But I trust you're not using this video as a guide to safety or, more correctly, lack thereof. I can't recall seeing one guard - table saw, wide jointer (OMG), minimal dust collection, no hearing protection that I could see. He did wear gloves putting on the finish, however, so that counts for something. And I was pleased to see it looked like he still has all his digits, so I guess he's aware of where his hands are. Still, not something to emmulate.

Good luck with the dream. Walnut is certainly nice wood, but there are many beautiful woods. I'd say it would be better to settle on a location where you want to live, first, and then use whatever woods are indigenous to that area, and truck in some logs for those that aren't. My 2 cents.

Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nolin View Post
    I just watched that whole video, Andrew. Incredible and very inspirational. I hope you find that kind of Zen in China.

Coincidentally, the mill in my shop is for sale in the classifieds section right this very moment. Not quite as large, mind you.
    I am amazed the nobody jumped on that by now.

Maximum walnut, minimum taxes defines the Ozarks. Arkansas has the lowest taxes. Missouri actually has more paved roads. Incidentally, I live outside Chicago. I end up paying more for my wood, but I'm not milling it and civilization (such as it is) is relatively close by.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Not sure about the walnut, but there is plenty of hardwood in New Hampshire. If I'm not mistaken, they have no income or sales taxes. Also, if you live near the border with Maine, you could pop over to Lie-Nielsen any time you wanted (for me this would cancel out any tax savings, though.).

Congrats on the opportunity and best of luck to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Archambeau View Post
    Pennsylvania
    Yeah, somewhere near me so i can mooch time on your large stationary tools.

Andrew, don't move too far out into the boonies just to be near a stand of prime walnut; don't forget, for custom furniture, you have to have customers. Reasonably nearby.
    Last edited by Frank Drew; 03-24-2011 at 6:19 PM.

Blog Entries
    Arkansas not necessarily lowest taxes and hardwood is not really easy to come by, Missouri may be better. I'd agree PA is probably best pick but I couldn't stand the cold.:-)
    You DO have to sell what you make.... A good road trip for the wood every now and then would not be too bad either.