Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laguna LT16HD or Felder HB600

Laguna LT16HD or Felder HB600

I'm really close to a new bandsaw, the march madness sale at Laguna has REALLY got me on the fence now. I've looked into the FB600 for a few months now, there does not seem to be alot of reviews or information on them. The LT16HD seems to be a really nice saw, lots of information on them here at SMC also. As I cant see either one in person, it makes the decision harder.

The table size on the FB is quite a bit larger than the Laguna, also its a much heavier machine. I'm not quite sure if the FB is worth the extra $550.00 + the Laguna comes with 2 blades and a mobility kit. Also I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples with these 2 machines? Just looking for some insight to help make up my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    I'm really close to a new bandsaw, the march madness sale at Laguna has REALLY got me on the fence now. I've looked into the FB600 for a few months now, there does not seem to be alot of reviews or information on them. The LT16HD seems to be a really nice saw, lots of information on them here at SMC also. As I cant see either one in person, it makes the decision harder.

The table size on the FB is quite a bit larger than the Laguna, also its a much heavier machine. I'm not quite sure if the FB is worth the extra $550.00 + the Laguna comes with 2 blades and a mobility kit. Also I want to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples with these 2 machines? Just looking for some insight to help make up my mind.

That is a decision about capacity as far as I am concerned. The FB600 had been on sale for quite a while at 3,000 so I assume that changed? If you need the extra throat depth the FB600 is a no brainer, if you don't I might lean toward the Laguna for current price and the guides. For a traditional bandsaw (shorter resaw height) like the FB600 I would suggest the Agazzani B-24 instead they are priced very similarly. If you do not need the taller resaw height of the saws you have mentioned (about 16") the Hammer is currently on sale and a VERY nice saw.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I would take the furnished blades out of the equation. My MiniMax came with 3 blades and they were hardly worth the trouble to mount them. They’ll do in a pinch but you are going to want some better blades.
    I know some people like them - (Van Huskey ), but I hated the mobility kit and went to a Delta mobile base ASAP.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I would take the furnished blades out of the equation. My MiniMax came with 3 blades and they were hardly worth the trouble to mount them. They’ll do in a pinch but you are going to want some better blades.
    I know some people like them - (Van Huskey ), but I hated the mobility kit and went to a Delta mobile base ASAP.
    Bruce is correct I do like the Euro mobility kits BUT you will HATE them if your floor is not FLAT. I have billiard table machine finished concrete so they roll like a dream BUT I have used them on what LOOKED like completely flat concrete and they catch, it doesn't take much.

As for the blades the ones they are offering are decent blades BUT I would get on the phone and try to trade out the blades for credit toward a Resaw King instead, I dunno if they will do it but that would be my approach, you may want to try to work some credit for the mobility base if your floor isn't really flat also.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van, Bruce, thanks for the info. Van the extra throat depth is very attractive on the FB, extra capacity would be nice to have (not really sure if I need it or not though). I dont really expect to need more than 12" resaw height as my J/P is 12". The major draw for the Laguna to me is the guide system, is it that much better than the Felder guides??

Bruce, I think you made a good point on the blades, while it looks good on paper you are correct about needing better blades. I will most likely make my own mobile base or install some zambus casters on either machine.

Its going to be pretty tough for me at this point to not go with the Felder, the customer service again with Felder has been "beyond satisfied". They have not let me down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    As for the blades the ones they are offering are decent blades BUT I would get on the phone and try to trade out the blades for credit toward a Resaw King instead, I dunno if they will do it but that would be my approach, you may want to try to work some credit for the mobility base if your floor isn't really flat also.
    Van, just to clear any confusion, the Laguna deal they have to my knowlege, is a 1 1/4" resaw king, mobility kit and free shipping. $3145.00. That has to be a $225.00 blade.

Thats my understanding, I'm still waiting for the quote that was supposed to be emailed to me.

I sold a 16HD to get the FB-600. My only complaints with the Laguna were the throat capacity and table size, as well as the lack of dust collection below the table. Only the throat capacity was beyond fixing.

I got the Felder while it was at the introductory price, which included 3 blades and a cast iron extension table (which weren't really free). It's a nice saw, solid and smooth. The larger table is wonderful, but get help to install it unless you have an engine hoist (~170lbs. The Laguna is half that, and half the size). A noted squawk in other threads is that it won't tilt much past 20°, if that matters to you. And there's no provision for tweaking the fence for blade drift. I haven't seen an issue with it so far.

I liked the Laguna ceramic guides a lot more than the 'Euro' style the Felder has. On the down side, they needed some work getting them squared up. The ceramics weren't parallel, or square to the back of the blocks. They seemed to work fine as is, but this made them easier to adjust without binding the blade.

One little bug I found with the Laguna involved the fence and the placement of the blade tension indicator on the inside of the frame. The fence couldn't be removed (swung up and slid off), to increase the throat width a bit, without either removing the blade or loosening the fence rail (which would ruin the alignment). The Felder lifts right off. It's also quickly reversible if you want to use it to the right of the blade, and the rail interchanges with the longer ones for the table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Van, just to clear any confusion, the Laguna deal they have to my knowlege, is a 1 1/4" resaw king, mobility kit and free shipping. $3145.00. That has to be a $225.00 blade.

Thats my understanding, I'm still waiting for the quote that was supposed to be emailed to me.
    I was incorrect, I had looked at the March Madness "flyer" and mixed the HD up with the 3000, the RK is in that deal. So absolutely the best resaw blade I have used plus the shear force is a great hardened spring steel blade with a very thin kerf which I would save for when I wanted to reduce waste to a minimum with a rare piece of wood. Bottom line both are blades I would actually pay money for...

I do indeed LOVE Laguna guides and they almost always trump everything in reviews and get high kudos for their effectiveness, case in point the most recent Wood magazine. I would say that on a big heavy saw that can tension a wide carbide blade correctly I find guides are not a big issue for resawing since the beam strength is so high the blade doesn't need a lot of help. It does come in very handy with thinner blades and contour cutting. The Laguna is a good deal but if it isn't big enough and you want to spend more the FB600 is a great saw. Again if the Felder costs more than 3,000 now I would get the Agazzani B-24 instead, it is a highly proven Italian saw and even Felder is not going to beat Jesse and Eagle Tool's customer service and support.

Since we are spending your money just move up a weight class and get a MM20 or MM24 you aren't going to beat them in a vertical resaw bandsaw.

PS BTW if you want to take a 900 mile road trip Chris Nolin is selling a cherry LT18 in the classifieds... Colorado is gorgeous in the spring!

It may not be relevant but the 600 is the lighter version of the ACM saws sold -I believe currently by felder and in the past by Laguna. The 540,640 etc are the heavier versions that more closely compare with the minimax saws- other than s45. There has been a felder 540 on ebay for some time now. I don't know where the Laguna saws are sourced now. The old bridgewood saws were also the heavier ACM ones. If you are looking to resaw the heavier saws will tension the wide blades much better. The strength of the frame and spring are really big deals here. Buy the strongest saw rather than the largest diameter. Dave

The old 600, yes. The new version is built in house by Felder (with various parts sourced from ACM the best we can tell). The x40 series were/are heavier, and only available with 3 phase motors AKAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Grass View Post
    The old 600, yes. The new version is built in house by Felder (with various parts sourced from ACM the best we can tell). The x40 series were/are heavier, and only available with 3 phase motors AKAIK.
    AKAIK.......? A new one to me.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    AKAIK.......? A new one to me.
    As far as I know

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    PS BTW if you want to take a 900 mile road trip Chris Nolin is selling a cherry LT18 in the classifieds... Colorado is gorgeous in the spring!
    Thats the best offer I've gotten yet, anywhere sounds better than here right now! Thanks for the great info. guys, I've tried the Eagle tools website a few times and it says its under construction. I'm not at all familiar with Agazzani bandsaws.

Wes, size comparison, does the FB dwarf the Laguna or is it mainly table size that is noticable?

I'll let Van chime in but Agazzani is top of the line.

Andy Rooney

Are the x00 series frames made in Germany or are they sourced as well? 600 lbs is not real heavy for a 24" saw, although the resaw height being lower allows for less mass in the neck for rigidity. I would discuss that with felder because resaw blades, and particularly lenox carbide blades need at least close to 20000 tension. That requires a pretty beefy saw. I'm not implying the felder won't do it but there is no plan B if the saw you buy won't use the blade you prefer. Agazanni upgraded their saws and springs some time ago to address that issue and minimax (centauro) uses a much heavier frame, albiet their resaw is higher. Dave