Thread: mortiser chisels

mortiser chisels

I have a set of Clico chisels for my benchtop mortiser which need to be sharpened. I was able to find the Clico sharpening hone but was shocked at $120 price tag. Other cone hones were in the $10-$25 range.
    Does anyone know if a $10 hone can be used with the Clico chisels? Clico users: how do you sharpen?
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I don't own Clico but do own HSS square mortise chisels. Are Clico's made of something else? The little kit from Rockler (in my case) and others has worked great for me for quite some time. I put the rough cone in a small cordless screwdriver and run it, then the fine, then i square the sides on a diamond plate and use the fine cone just a bit more to clear the wire.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the input Glenn. I don't know what type of steel the clico are made from but I'm really tempted to just buy a set of cone hones and use them on the clicos. If the cone angle doesn't match perfectly, it should after a little honing!

Lee Valley sells a couple as well.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    If the cone angle doesn't match perfectly, it should after a little honing!
    Agreed. I have used the Rockler set on three different sourced chisels and the difference in angle, if any, was resolved by the 3rd or 4th rotation. That may have been luck but, it was certainly not an issue. I notice the Rockler set is $30 now (!?!). I notice the Lee Valley offering is only $25 and the handle that came with the Rocklers just ended up in a box in the shed ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler