Thread: Silly question about quick release vices...

Silly question about quick release vices...

Does the quick release mechanism depend on gravity? Could you theoretically mount it upside down or on a diagonal and still have the mechanism work normally?

Jamie,

Sorry to provide this usual answer: that depends on the vise. The Jorgensen's mechanism is a half nut that releases when the screw is backed off one-half turn...with the assistance of gravity the nut drops out of engagement. Some of the 14 designs reviewed in FWW #205 seem to operate on a finger lever release...if it is entirely spring loaded perhaps gravity is not a factor.

(not that I care a lick about typos and such, but if you decide to google more info...vise holds woodwork. Vice usually implies illicit acts of gambling, drugs, prostitution and such.

Ha, quick release "vice" --- what would Dr. Freud think?

Blog Entries
    I figgered someone would bonk you on the vise versus vice spelling . . . My QR vises use a spring mechanism. Dad's uses gravity. The thing I like about my version is that I can open and close them via turning the handle. On the gravity version my dad has (Don't know about other designs) you can use the handle to crank the jaws closed but once you turn the handle 1/4 turn counter-clock-wise, you have to pull the front jaw back, it will not wind back.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

He'd likely contemplate whether it was a Freudian slip or a whole Freudian dress!!
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Mine is spring loaded.

If you wnat it, it's in classifieds.

QR vises are of 2 general types, that Im aware of. Those actuated by a lever on the front of the vise and those by virtue of releasing pressure on the vise (ie turning the screw out). Ive only fiddled w/ the first type and its a spring loaded half nut. Probably no gravity needed. Not sure about the other type.

My new (to me) bench has an Oliver vise that releases with an upward lift of the handle.

Once cleaned and lubed, it has been a wonder of speed to set up and use.
    It's so simple; the weight of the jaws and tension under load keep threads engaged.

A little lift - its open!

My old QR vise operates with a cam and follower. Will work upside down. I love it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    He'd likely contemplate whether it was a Freudian slip or a whole Freudian dress!!
    Ouch.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Vise = US only and vice = some US and rest of world.

vice1n1. an immoral, wicked, or evil habit, action, or trait
    2. habitual or frequent indulgence in pernicious, immoral, or degrading practices
    3. a specific form of pernicious conduct, esp prostitution or sexual perversion
    4. a failing or imperfection in character, conduct, etc. smoking is his only vice
    5. (Medicine / Pathology) Pathol obsolete any physical defect or imperfection
    6. a bad trick or disposition, as of horses, dogs, etc.[via Old French from Latin vitium a defect]
    viceless adj

vice2 US (often), vise [vaɪs]n (Engineering / Tools) an appliance for holding an object while work is done upon it, usually having a pair of jaws

vb (Engineering / Mechanical Engineering) (tr) to grip (something) with or as if with a vice[from Old French vis a screw, from Latin vītis vine, plant with spiralling tendrils (hence the later meaning)]
    vicelike US (often), viselike adj

Thanks everyone, these replies were very helpful!

After doing extensive internet searches, I think that I will probably go with a vise instead of a vice -- it seems like the pleasure from a quick release vice is pretty extreme, but short lived. Apparently they need to be repeated with frequency to satisfy and it ultimately winds up being very expensive. I think spending some money on a vise might be a more moderate enjoyment, but have a longer-term reward.

So I'm in the market for a quick release vise. I plan on using it mounted sideways (vertically, with opening to the right) in a "bench on bench" application, mostly to hold drawer/cabinet components while using paring chisels to fine tune the joints. (The only downside of my leg vise is the low height and the amount of time it takes to switch from drawer side to drawer width when paring shoulders of tenons/dovetailed drawer sides) So I think I want/need the version with the lever release. Any recommendations?

What's your budget?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post
    What's your budget?
    I'm mostly in the "buy it once and be able to resell for most of it's value" budget. I'd have a hard time justifying a vintage pattern makers vise, though -- it would be overkill for me.

I guess that puts the Hovarter QRV out of reach?