Thread: Plywood storage

Plywood storage

I know buy & storing lumber has been talked about but I haven't seen any thing about plywood so I'll ask. If your buying cabinet grade plywood would you rather buy from lumber yards the store it flat or on edge. How do you store your plywood? I know as far as having space in the shop I have to store it on edge. I'd rather not but have no choice.

I usual use the wood as soon as I buy it so no storage problem but if plywood are stood on the edge, store the thinnest pieces between the thick pieces

Assuming that you don't have room for to give each type of sheet it's own stack, storing on edge gives you the ability to flip through sheets and find what you need. Like Ray said, I buy sheet goods when I need them, so my storage is for leftovers and temporary storage. Made mine portable for that reason. I can roll it out of the shop, load it off the truck, then roll it over to my cutting table and start breaking it up...and if it starts raining before I get finished, I can roll it back into the shop.

I built this. My ceiling is a little over ten feet high. It was one of the things I did right when I made my shop. I have a few inches of head room if I stand under it. I usually only buy what I need but if I have a few left over sheets (like now) I can put up to 4- 3/4" sheets in the lower section and 5 or 6 -- 1/2" in the next one up. then I use the next few for cut offs and in the top section I put lighter stuff like left over laminites and jigs on the space on the very top. It only works well if you can easily pick up a sheet of plywood over your head which I can easily.

the back and left side is lagged into each stud at each shelf and the right side is 3/4" plywood screwed and glued to a series of 2X4's that hold each shelf on that end. A treaded rod goes through it and up through the ceiling to a beam that spans over 2 trusses. An engineer I know looked at it and said it wouldn't come down without the building coming with it and also told me, even loaded, the way I built it re enforces the whole building because it braces such a large section of the corner.

It works great for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images