Thread: Combination Jointer/Planer gloat

Combination Jointer/Planer gloat

Howdy,

I have been a weekend warrior for the last year using a close friend of mine's shop. A few weeks ago I decided that I was serious enough to take the dive and start my own shop. After getting a table saw, router, band saw, and drill press (already had a miter saw) I decided to hold off on a planer and jointer until I found a killer deal on craigslist or at an auction, plus I thought I could use my router table for most of the jointing I would be doing. Today I found that killer deal.

I just came home with a INCA 570 10 1/4" combination jointer/planer for $400. I first saw it on Craigslist and didn't think much of it. Later in the day I was thinking "I didn't know INCRA made jointers?" (mistakenly reading INCA as INCRA). I then went back to look at it and I thought "who is INCA". After doing a little research on the internet I was intrigued. But once I saw that the original cost 25 years ago was north of $2k and that one sold online last April for $1700, I was drooling at the $400 price tag!

I went to go check it out and it was in fantastic shape. The previous owner took great care of it and still had the manual, 3 sets of blades, a stand, and a custom set of dust collection "jigs" he made. He even greased everything, polished the tables, and sharpened the blades before putting it on craigslist.

After getting it home I jointed and planed everything in sight and I was blown away (although I acknowledge the fact that I have never really used a jointer for more then 15 minutes). I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I didn't need a dedicated jointer. And the best part is I hit both birds with one stone.

Ok, this rant has gotten long enough. I just needed to tell someone thats eyes don't glaze over the second I start talking about power tools.

No pics, didn't happen

You probably don't want to buy any lottery tickets for the next few months, Your luck reservoir has to be pretty well depleted. That machine has a devoted following. Congrats on a big time bargain.

One caution with these - there is a drive gear (pinion gear) that is plastic and must be lubricated frequently.
    This gear is only engaged in the planer mode.

Cheapo white lithium grease applied - with the power off - to the pinion gear with a popsicle stick does the trick.
    FWIW - I think these make superior jointers. In combination with a helix head planer, it's an excellent tool.

There's a Yahoo group devoted to the line.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/incawoodworking/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    One caution with these - there is a drive gear (pinion gear) that is plastic and must be lubricated frequently.
    The previous own warned me about the pinion gear you are talking about. He said he had to replace it around 8 years ago. Two good things came from that for me. One, he must of started to grease it more frequently b/c the gear looks to be in great shape. Two, he bought a spare pinion gear at that time. He mentioned that the only parts he had to replace in 25 years was that pinion gear and a small belt for the automatic feed on the planer (not a standard v belt). He said that once INCA went of business he went and bought 3 spares and still had them in the original packaging. So, I think I should be set on the wearable parts!

Fresh off the truck

Broken in (clearly I need a DC system next!)

Great score you got there. It was easily worth more than 2X what he let it go for, but that's your good fortune. I have an older model than yours, belt driven from a separate motor. Anyway, I love the machine - very high precision, very easy to use, and very durable. I've jointed and planed thousands of board feet with it. Having a 10" wide jointer is a real treat, especially with a machine that has such a small footprint. It sounds like you already love the machine. I predict it will be a long affair. If you're married, don't tell your wife.

Setup height looks about right.

Zip in a couple of screws to anchor it, this is the last thing you want to hit the floor running.

I bought the same machine a couple of weeks ago.
    Paid $700 with table extensions and two spare belts and I thought I got a bargain.
    Welcome to the Inca Cult.

Blog Entries
    And to truly join the cult ( and to get all the support you'll need), there's an inca owners group on yahoo. Please join. You may find inca machines addicting.
    Last edited by Bill ThompsonNM; 03-29-2011 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Fix typo

I just joined the Yahoo group yesterday, but I haven't had time to look around and introduce myself.