Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

28 Mar 2011

Good Morning,
    It's been a hectic week for me with family issues, work schedule being what it has suddenly turned into. Maybe I should take up the career of being a caveman instead.

Well, the MIL thought the wooden forks were pretty cool but the design was a bit out of the ordinary. That's what she "thought" until she tried one of them to take some kraut out of a jar and it worked better than a standard kitchen fork. She fell in love with the little kraut fork right then and there.!!!

I have a lot more wooden kitchen utensils to make but I've had so much going on that I haven't had time to get in the shop. I was supposed to go my Joe Measle's house last night to borrow his scroll saw but due to family problems at the time, I never made it to his house.

Tomorrow is the LOML's birthday....so I've got to get busy making plans to celebrate her birthday...so off I go.!!!

So what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

There was also Fajitas, Hot Dogs, and Bratwurst that hit that grill... And a couple of Margaritas to wash it down... Other than that, I managed to get absolutely nothing done, and I desperately needed that....
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

OK David, that pic has me drooling and dreaming of warmer weather and BBQs......

As for my weekend - I finally installed the hardwood treads on the stairs leading down into our basement. The walls are 'textured' (meaning the plasterer was too busy to do a nice job), so getting the risers and treads to fit was an experience. I would definitely do it differently next time, but they were basement stairs so I am not going to lose any sleep over it. I still need to put the oak flooring on the landing halfway down, but will get to that later this week.
    I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger....then it hit me.

My summers here are hotter than sin and muggy to boot. But spring time here is an absolute joy. March - May here reminds me of summer up in Oregon, minus the mountains... (I miss those...). We BBQ whenever we can. Takes some of the cooking pressure off of LOML, and simply put, I like doing it...

Memorial Day weekend will see a big neighborhood BBQ / Block Party. Lots of brisket, burgers, crawdad boil etc... We've got some of the best neighbors I could ask for, and it's fun to get everyone together... One of the guys is using this year's party to send his younger daughter off to college... He's pretty freaked out about it...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David, your weekend looked better than mine. I was left to the tedious task of flattening two big walnut slabs with a router jig. Luckily I have a bout 2/3 left of one side of a slab left. That should be done tonight and I can move on to the fun part!
    -ps- There's a meanie in my slab!SlabMeanie.jpg

Saturday I went to the Northwest Coast Woodworkers Association shop tour. Truly interesting to see other people's shops. Then drove to Seattle airport to pick up my wife (she's been in Colorado for the past 10 days visiting grandkids). Sunday I finished pruning the orchard (now comes the hard part . . . cleanup). The most sure sign of Spring; I turned on the outdoor shower!!!!!

Besides replacing the hard drive on my laptop which started whining to let me know that it is going to hit the dust soon. It took me a quite a while to restore all back where it was before I took the drive out. It seems all good so far.
    Finished gluing up the bench top to ready it for further layout for the vises and tail boards etc. I started one board at a time but got bolder to do two boards together. I used full length splines which enabled me to do a half decent job. I've got a bit crazy with the glue at one board. I glued up six boards and ran through the planer to skim the top and bottom and glued them up together. There was a slight bow at the front center (1/32). Used the Festool rail to trim it as far as the blade goes and trimmed the remainder with a flush cutting bit from the other face. Still need to cut it square and attach the front apron once I cut the square dog holes. I decided that I was not going to put square holes on the left side. If I regret later, I can drill holes as needed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ruhi Arslan; 03-28-2011 at 2:19 PM.

Ruhi,
    Your glue up looks good. Who makes the clamps are you using, and do you like them.

I cut a few more boards for my bench and face glue one of the lower stringers together. Didn't turn out to well because of the cheapo clamps I'm using. Needless to say that's on hold till I get some better clamps. Played with Sketch Up till I was cross eyed. Its a pretty cool tool, but it definitely has its own learning cure.

Blog Entries
    I was in the recording studio laying down some tracks. My son was engineering the session so I had good father / son time.

Sunday, I helped neighbor with a small construction project (to keep him from cutting his fingers off). Then worked on the design for the next table project.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Well, in addition to my normal riding lesson, I played "pick-up sticks" in the yard to clear a winter's worth of dead-fall branches and twigs, finished building a small retaining wall using leftover stacking landscape block (Rinox) from our addition project and did some "dye mixology" to come up with the intended color that will anoint the new wide pine floor in the study room on the first floor of the 250 year old portion of our home. (I plan on finishing the finish as soon as the weather is warm enough to open things up)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Ruhi,
    Your glue up looks good. Who makes the clamps are you using, and do you like them.
    I need to look up where I got those from but Harbor Freight comes to my mind. They flex too much but real pain (no pun intended) is the handles to tighten. Tips of the handles dig into my hands hurting pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    Played with Sketch Up till I was cross eyed. Its a pretty cool tool, but it definitely has its own learning cure.
    I had my bench entirely built with all the details with SketchUp allowing me to thinker. As I made a changes as dictated by the material, I went back to drawing and changed dimensions as needed. This is my first "real" project and SketchUp keeps me going. As you you use more, you'll get to like it even more.

Started the process of remodeling the first of 3 bathrooms. Cut out the old fiberglass tub/shower combo; out with the toilet; roughed in 3 recessed lights; started thinking through the steps and needs to plumb the new tub. Dittos to my wife who tore out the sheetrock on the wall and ceramic floor tile during the week. Also nailed in a few pieces of new base in other parts of the house (previous, ongoing project).

Built Pinewood Derby cars with sons:

Pinewood Derby: My 6 y.o. son cuts his first mortise, 8 y.o. learns rasps

img976.jpgimg982.jpg

Also put a new roof on a rental house:

img943.jpg
    and working on fixing a door with water and insect damage from said roof leak:

img971.jpg
    Thread on "How do I pickup/move XXX Saw?" http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=597898

Compilation of "Which Band Saw to buy?" threads http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...028#post692028