Thread: Platform Bird Feeder Screen Bottom

Question Platform Bird Feeder Screen Bottom

OK, I give up. I want to build some simple platform bird feeders like you see in all the stores. Simple to build except for the screen bottoms. I can't find them anywhere. The bottoms are a metal, probably aluminum, sheet that has small round holes puched in them. Most of them are painted and are heavier than window screen wire. Any idea what the sheet is called and where I can buy them? I have looked everywhere.

2. might be something you could use here... http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/wire-bird-screen.html

Blog Entries
    Maybe at a feed store or ag supply? Tractor Supply Co.?

You are looking for expanded metal or perforated metal. Usually the big box stores carry a very limited assortment in their hardware departments, almost always steel or aluminum. The expanded metal holes are diamond shape; the perforated metal may be round or a variety of patterns. They will not come painted there. When all else fails, resort to 1/4" hardware cloth, galvanized, that you can get at any hardware store. It generally lets most of the seed fall through except the sunflower seeds.
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

McMaster-Carr has perforated sheet in various metals and plastic, holes sizes, spacing, etc.