Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Inca 510 jointer/planer

Smile Inca 510 jointer/planer

I was wondering if anyone has any input on a fair price for a mint condition 10" Tersa head Model 510 (circa mid eighties) still in the box but without motor/belt and stand. Also what is the max accurate "face Jointing" length on the short bed model. I was looking for an 8 inch x 60 inch Jointer but am looking at a Inca 510 for sale. Any suggestions on motor size and where to get (will need to be 110v up to 30amp for now)?

Arer you sure it is a 510? I thought the 550 was the first one that was sold with the tersa head. it makes a difference with the motor requirement. The 510 can work with a variety of motors, the 550 not so much.

If you buy it PM me and I will dig out my supplier of Genuine Tersa knives. I found one that is cheaper by far than most. Do not buy the clones, they are junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    If you buy it PM me and I will dig out my supplier of Genuine Tersa knives. I found one that is cheaper by far than most. Do not buy the clones, they are junk.

If you don't buy it I may be interested in buying it for a jobsite tool......

I have face jointed boards over 8 feet long on my Inca. It's a bit of a challenge to support the board as it comes off the outfeed table, but I've had no trouble keeping them flat and true. It's more about technique than length of the jointer tables. Don't let the small size put you off. The Inca is an awesome machine. As for price, hmmm, the ones I occassionally see seem to go between $750 and $1200, although a poster here just got one for $400.

Does anyone happen to have a copy (ideally, electronic) of the manual for the 510 ? There's one on the Inca group but it's pretty low resolution and hard to make out.

I just got a 510 working but the feed mechanism consistently stalls after the piece has been pulled in a few inches. A whack on the board gets it moving at which point it is pulled through without incident. If there's a dish, a second time through (again, needing another whack after a few inches) and the piece is perfect.

Does anyone have any advise as to what I might look to adjust ? The only advice I got on the Inca group was to wax the bed. I am sure someone will suggest calling Jesse@Eagle, but I've found it's so hard to get him to get back to you...I'm sure he's really busy.

I have one. It's 4.5MB and very readable. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.

Congrats on getting the Inca. I've had one for over 20 years and have run a lot of wood through it. I have a different model so my manual probably wouldn't be of much help. If your model uses the planetary gear drive system for the feed rollers, like mine, then the stalling you are having could be due to the belt slipping on one of the pulleys. Take off the cover and watch it when you run a board through. I had that problem once after I got a little happy with the spray lube and some got on the belt. The more typical reason for stalling, however, is what those on the Inca forum told you; the board sticking on the lower bed plate. Wet woods or those with pitch are a real problem, but it also happens with nice dry hardwood as well. Wax and polish the bed with paste wax (I like Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax) and it's good to go for a few hundred more board feet. Good luck.

Thought of one more thing. Check the ends of the feed rollers, where they sit in the brackets in the side frames. There could be sawdust and possibly grease packed in there which is preventing the rollers from riding up and down smoothly. If you lift one end of the roller up it should return without hesitation when you release it. If not, clean it out and shoot in a little silicone or similar lube that dries completely until it does.
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 08-10-2011 at 3:18 PM.

I have a 510, and need new knobs for the outfeed table. They crack where the pin goes through them. I might touch up the edges of the guides on the table, too, as they seem a little snug in the case recess. Anybody have a source for the knobs? I could use some tersa blades, too. Thanks.
    Last edited by Jon Middleton; 03-10-2012 at 6:07 PM.

Jesse at Eagle-tools in los Angeles has all the Garret-Wade inventory from the 1980's.

If he hasn't got it, there are second hand units on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gaynes View Post
    I have one. It's 4.5MB and very readable. PM me your e-mail address and I'll send it to you.
    I have just purchased an Inca 510 at a yard sale for $140. it is missing the top guard and manual. if yours is still available I would love a copy. can you PDF it over to me?

Len, join the INCA group on Yahoo groups. That's where the action is and there's an archive of scanned paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Woirhaye View Post
    Len, join the INCA group on Yahoo groups. That's where the action is and there's an archive of scanned paper.
    Do you have a link?

You need a Yahoo email account to join a group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...odworking/info

I have an Inca 510 as well. I'm very happy with it.

As for the short bed, I'm planning on building an extension like this.

inca-ext.jpginca+jointer+extension+and+support+dim.jpginca+extention+Online+Metals.jpg

The Inca Yahoo Group forum has more info on it.
    https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/.../messages/6111