Thread: Delta 735 feed tables

Delta 735 feed tables

I'm about to start the machine for the first time. I've read discussion about the feed tables. Mostly to raise a penny in height. The tables have a slot to raise/lower the tables. As a starting point where should the feed tables be in relation to the flat surface under the cutter head? Both the in and out feed. I'm sure each machine has its own preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
    I'm about to start the machine for the first time. I've read discussion about the feed tables. Mostly to raise a penny in height. The tables have a slot to raise/lower the tables. As a starting point where should the feed tables be in relation to the flat surface under the cutter head? Both the in and out feed. I'm sure each machine has its own preference.
    Rick, I'm far from an expert, but I've always read to raise the OUT-feed table, not both feed tables. That way, the rollers push down a hair when the end of your stock feeds through.

Some folks just "lift up" their stock manual as it reaches the end. On my little Makita 2012 lunchbox, I put a thin sheet of UHMW plastic on the back half of the out feed table, and the tiny bit of snipe I was getting disappeared.

Of course, YMMV, and probably will.

A little more work on my part says the planer table and the feed tables should be at the same elevation. The ends of table feeds should be adjusted a penny's thickness higher / for a slight tilt up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Johnston View Post
    A little more work on my part says the planer table and the feed tables should be at the same elevation. The ends of table feeds should be adjusted a penny's thickness higher / for a slight tilt up.
    Any reliable source for that statement?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mackell View Post
    Any reliable source for that statement?
    My experience (if you take it as reliable). When the ends of the tables are slightly higher, the ends of the board are moved down from the spinning blades and are more likely to avoid snipe. I do the same thing by lifting up on the trailing edge of the board on the entry side and lifting up on the leading side of the board on the exit side. If you don't support the free ends of the boards somehow, they tilt up into the cutting head, and you get snipe.

A Delta 735?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Dewalt. The factory setting on the tables turned out to be about the penny. Ran a couple 10 foot maple boards and it worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    A Delta 735?
    Myk, it's the new hybrid everyone is talking about.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I plane just the way Mr. Spear does.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.