Thread: Grizzly G0675 combination jointer/planer

Grizzly G0675 combination jointer/planer

Does anyone have any experience with this machine? I have changed my projects so that I am now working much more with smaller pieces but I do need 10 inches of jointing and planing capability. I don't care anything about speed because I am building fewer higher value items than I used to make. I would also like to recover some of the space occupied by separate jointer and planer machines.

A second question is does anybody know what the 10 inch combo machines from Minimax and Hammer cost? There are no prices on their websites. Comments on these machines would also be very much appreciated.

I thought I would resurrect this request just once.

Art
    I just looked up the prices on Grizzly and Hammer web sites,
    Grizzly 10" jointer-planer 3 knife cutter head-$1324.00 with shipping.
    Grizzly 12" jointer-planer 3 knife cutter head-$2145.00 with shipping
    Grizzly 12" jointer-planer spiral cutter head -$2545.00 with shipping

Hammer A3-26 10" jointer-planer 3-knife cutter head $2795.00
    Hammer A3-31 12" jointer-planer 3-knife-cutter head $3495.00

Hope this helps you in your decision, Bob

Art, I have no experience with the grizzly but I'd suggest PM'ing Erik Loza, he's the Minimax rep.
    -Jeff (who wishes he was also contacting Erik for an impending purchase!)

I've owned a Hammer J/P for 7 or 8 years.

Can't say enough good things about it...........Rod.

I reviewed both the grizzly and hammer very carefully - the grizzly G0675 is, at least in my opinion, the best of the relatively cheap made-in-China (not the US as is claimed in their Amazon ad) units. The Hammer 10" is far better - buit also essentially twice as much by the time you get both delivered.

p.s. I ended up getting separate macvhines: an 8" jointer (CX-08 like the G0490) and a 13" Planer (CX-13, like the G137) and have not regreted it despite having very limited space.

I had one for about 5 years and I loved it. it did a great job and was worth the price. The tables are short, but I used it primarily for shorter boards. I changed the knives a few times without incident. The infield table was a little tricky to set, but I only did that a couple of times. I sold it to a colleague for half price and bought a Hammer A3 31 12" jp. I wanted the larger size, silent cutter head, and larger dust port 5" vs 4". The hammer is quieter, but that is due to the head. I still look back with fondness on the G0675. If I didn't luck into some serious extra cash, I would still be enjoying it. I also bought a MiniMax MM20 with my extra cash.

I own the larger 14" Minimax and love it. It's a dream. You can usually find one of those used for about the same price as a new Grizzly. One was offered in Kentucky a few years ago and stayed on Craigslist for weeks. That's when it moved to my shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    ...does anybody know what the 10 inch combo machines from Minimax and Hammer cost?...
    Art, you can email me at eloza-at-scmgroup-dot-com about that. Minimax does not manufacture any 10" jointer/planers, just 12" and up. As is often the case, the cost difference by the time, say, a 10" Italian-made jointer/planer got put in front of the consumer could end up very close the cost of a 12" unit and there is so much saturation and competition at that level from the mass-produced Asian machines that there is not a lot of incentive for SCM to go there.

That being said, Minimax pricing has always been competitive with any of the other Euro machinery mfrs. and I will tell you that the FS30 Classic is my seconf most popular machine behind the S400P (MM16) bandsaw.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks, everyone for the information.

Erik, I thank you for your offer. I looked up the specifications on the FS30 and they are impressive. One thing I noticed was that the motor is 4.8 hp iirc. The area where i am wanting to locate the machine has a 240V 20A outlet already in place and I really hate to go in and rewire for more than that. I don't think the FS30 would run well on 20A.