Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inca 510 jointer/planer

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Livernois View Post
    Yes, the motor is underneath and the belt is gone I'll be calling Eagle today. It does have sentimental value, plus it just seems like a very sweet machine. I'm going to keep it in a different part of my shop on a mobile base so I can move it outside when weather permits to just let the chips fly outside. I have a couple sets of the HSS blades unfortunately with some rust on one set.

Indeed, it is a very sweet machine. It's very smooth but does serious work. It's especially nice to have a 10-1/4" jointer in such a small footprint. Rust on the blades is usually easy to remove with water or oil stones, and rather irrelevant as long as it hasn't created pits in the cutting edge or bevel. And you really only need one set of knives. I can take them out, sharpen them, and have them back in in less than 45 minutes. Fast enough for a hobby shop.

John

Ordered a belt former Jesse at Eagle, he also has HSS blades but I'm going to sharpen mine first. For the amount of use I know they have on them they are amazingly sharp already. Jesse is very helpful, a great resource. I was also able to track down the original manual which was in perfect condition. Very nice...

I've been using my Inca for about a month now and all I can say is this machine is amazing. I've been using it mostly for planing and doing the jointing on my Laguna. As I said the knives have seen a lot of BF but still give an incredibly smooth cut. I can't figure out how this thing cuts like it does with only two knives. An amazing and beautiful machine, one you could certainly get a bit obsessed with. Highly recommended.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Inca, Tom. If you look at the rpm of the cutter head and speed of the board going through the Inca has a lot of cuts/linear inch despite only having 2 knives. Combined with good bearings and good balance in the cutter head and it results in a very smooth surface. Having a 10-1/4" jointing capacity in such a small machine was the reason I bought mine all those years ago, and I've never regretted it. Too bad they didn't make a 12 or 15" wide one !

John