Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PS&W Socket chisel rebuild project

Quote Originally Posted by Joe O'Leary View Post
    Trey, why not spring for a mini-lathe and get turning. It was a revelation to me.
    That occurred to me as well.

It would be hard to exaggerate how limited I am on space. A really small benchtop lathe might do the trick. I'm not quite sure about sticking my toe in that pool just yet!

If I want to make chisel handles I'm probably best off making them using the Smalser method. I believe Aldren Watson also describes this, using a jig called a "turning box" or something like that.

A warning Trey. Lathes are dangerous. They are hopelessly addictive. I know a number of folks who used to be very good all around woodworkers, both hand and power tools types, who once they got a lathe disappeared and have yet to surface. A bit of hyperbole perhaps, but still very close to the truth. It's not the lathe that costs, its all the tools and accessories.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

If you have a router and a router table, I've seen articles about attaching round blocks of wood on the end off a blank and using a straight bit to turn a cylinder. You just slowly raise the straight bit, spinning the blank on the piece on the "wheels" to form the cylinder. You could use other bits (v-groove, core box, etc.) to get a bit more variety in your shape. I would imagine using wheels of different diameters could result in a tapered cylinder. Getting the taper for the socket might be a bit tricky, but you could probably very gradually raise the bit as you move towards the thinner part of the taper to get a rough shape. You'd have to do some work with a file and sandpaper, but it you could remove the bulk of the material with the router. I may try this soon as I have a chisel with a chipped handle. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Palmer View Post
    Unfortunately, I do not have a lathe. How hard do y'all think it is to make chisel handles with spokeshaves, rasps, &c?
    I've done it.

Getting the taper right is fiddly.
    If you make the handle over length,
    you can put a hanger bolt in that end
    and chuck the assembly in your drill press.

That will at least help get the taper centered.

I think the handle choice is important.
    I've made three, and only the second one
    stayed fitted for long.

If they swell with seasonal humidity changes,
    the taper forces the handle out of the socket.