Thread: Iroko

Iroko

I was at my local lumber importer and he had some Iroko (African Teak according to Him). I was looking for some teak for a glider plan that i have for the deck. Anyone ever used it? He is selling it for $5.00 a bf, good price ?? At this price its more attractive than real teak for me.
    "To us and those like us"

Teak second in price only to ebony at my supplier

Seems like a fair price for the Iroko. This wood has some trade-offs (see link) ...but considering you'd have to re-morgage your house to buy any substantial amount of teak now-a-days you might give it a go. Why not just pick up a (one)stick to see how it mills and takes a finish first.

...Jim in Idaho

http://www.woodbin.com/ref/wood/iroko.htm

You could use Ipe for about $3.50 bf. Very nice looking wood that will outlast most any other. You can get it in 1x6, 1x4 and some 2x dimensions. Teak is beautiful, but very expensive.

Iroko

Jim,
    Thanks for the link and info. I would love to buy 1 stick but all he has is 8/4 10" wide or better 12 feet long. After reading the link im going to give it a whirl.

Be aware that Iroko also causes respiratory reactions in many people (like many tropical hardwoods). Wear a respirator when milling the stuff.

When I was in South Africa in November of 2003, we stayed with some folks who had kitchen cabinets made from what I think was iroko. They described it as local teak. Beautiful! I wish I had a bunch of that.

I use about 4000bf of Iroko a year. It is not a member of the Teak family but behaves fairly similarly. It has about the same durability as teak but can be a bit more susceptible to movement. Choose straight grain to avoid warping. It is moderately agressive on cutting edges (My planer blades last 5 times as long with Oak) and, as has been pointed out, some people find the dust irritatant. It tends to dust quite a lot so make sure your extraction filters are kept clear.

Most Iroko comes from the west coast of Africa (Ghana is a major source) and it is popular in UK and particularly Ireland as an outdoor timber - I use it to make garden furniture. It used to be marketed as West African Teak. It weathers to silver grey left untreated and has an expected life in the 20-30 year range. You can get quite a lot of colour variation in freshly worked wood but this will go after a couple of days in the sun. Iroko also metabolises calcium which appears as chalky deposits. I find them interesting bit they can destroy an edge very quickly.

Price comparisons are a bit moot but you are paying roughly the same as I would in the UK - but I tend to buy 2000bf at a time and use shorts.

Hope that helps

Iroko

Thanks Ian, well i guess im off to buy some of this stuff and give er a go. 4000bf a year thats a lot of garden furniture.