Thread: Anchorseal ?

Anchorseal ?

While not a new turner, I am fairly new to turning green. Question is: Seal the entire blank or seal just the end grain in an hourglass shape, a la Bill Grumbine? Pros and cons for both would be nice.

I have searched tirelessly for this on this forum, and can find plenty of Anchorseal posts, but can't find this specific one. My apologies if this has been covered before.

It makes sense to me to not seal the entire blank, so as to let the bulk of the moisture escape through the unsealed long grain. But, I'm not hung up on it, just seems logical.

Thanks.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA

Richard - I am sure everyone has their own system but what I do is leave the wood in log form as much as possible - with bark intact - and seal just the endgrain. When I want to turn some of it - I cut whatever is needed and reseal the end of the log. Anchorseal won't stop the moisture loss - just slows it down.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

When I put my bowls into a paper bag to dry I do as Bill taught me many years ago, I coat the rim and the end grain inside and out. It has worked just fine for me for over 9 years.
    Barbara in Remlik Virginia

I just do like Bill Grumbine and haven't lost one yet. I seal the endgrain around the rim and inside the rim and on the outside of the rim down about 1-2 inches. Let it sit and dry a few hours and put it in a bag with shavings from the bowl and sit it on a shelf for 4-5-6 months. Depends on when I can get back to it. So far everyone I have taken out of the bag is 10% or less moisture. Most are 7-8% which is great. Always write on the bowl and on the bag the Date,and species unless it turns out to be mystery wood. I do have some of that too. Any questions just ask.
    Donny

Thanks guys, that's the way I've been doing it. Now, only about 30 more out of this big hackberry........

Thanks again.

Rich
    *** "I have gained insights from many sources... experts, tradesman & novices.... no one has a monopoly on good ideas." Jim Dailey, SMC, Feb. 19, 2007
    *** "The best way to get better is to leave your ego in the parking lot."----Eddie Wood, 1994
    *** We discovered that he had been educated beyond his intelligence........
    *** Student of Rigonomics & Gizmology

Waste Knot Woods
    Rice, VA