Thread: Monster Hollowing system Modifications

Monster Hollowing system Modifications

Hi All;
    You know that I bought the Monster Hollowing system and you have seen some of the projects that have been made using the Monster.
    Inevitably there are little things that one wants to change on a system to make it fit your shop or your style so, I have added a few things.
    1. The Laser system bar was hitting the wall behind the Lathe so something needed to be done about that. I drilled the bar to move the Laser light back 4 inches and now the battery box no longer hits the wall. On smaller pieces you need a more acute angle of attack to get under the lip and that is were there was a problem. On larger (taller) pieces the angle will not be so acute since you have to down into the piece more. (I hope).

2. The Plastic T handles on the base plate holding the unit to the Lathe ways and the adjustments for height were hard to grab hold of so, I made a wooden handle to increase the grip on the T nuts.

3. The long 12" cutting bar fits into the holder with a 5/8" hole and insert. The shorter 5" bar is intended to fit into the long bar for even longer reach but the connection is with a 3/8" hole and insert. I wanted to use the shorter bar in the main holder so I made a steel insert to fit into the 5/8" hole on the holder.

4. Interesting thing is the short bar has the flat for the set screws on the top and the holder has only set screws on the side. So, I drilled two new set screw holes and tapped them to fit the set screws on top of the holder and now with the steel insert the short bar fits into the main holder.

This little cutter is my favorite 3/16" sq cutting bit set in a 360 degree holder that fits into the end of the bars. On the first photo you can see how this cutter can be set to reach under the lip of a HF.

This may be of use to someone and if not I hope it is at least interesting to most WWF members.
    Thanks
    Peter F.

Last edited by Peter Fabricius; 03-30-2011 at 1:59 PM.

Thanks for posting this, Peter. I just received my monster system and it is helpful to see how others use it.

I'm glad to see this also. Don't have a monster, but I'm hoping to one day.

Mine is here, but not even unpacked. Thanks for the info.

Congrats on the new toy. Looks like the mods will make turning even more fun(if that's possible).

Is Cathy the first person not to rip into the box before the UPS guy let go of it?

Quote Originally Posted by David E Keller View Post
    Congrats on the new toy. Looks like the mods will make turning even more fun(if that's possible).

Is Cathy the first person not to rip into the box before the UPS guy let go of it?
    Serious tooth infection. Hurts too much to do anything but sit in front of the computer and then go to sleep. Ripping boxes open sounds painful ...

Peter,

We should start a "monster tweakers" cult <vbg>
    Thanks for posting these modifications. By the way, the reason I made my bushing with a slot (instead of two holes) is that it's easier to position the bushing because the screws don't have to be retracted as far to insert or remove the bushing, and actually serve as a guide for insertion.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

Some well thought out mod's Peter...Thanks for sharing!

Cathy...you get dispensation...I know how you feel and do not envy you at all
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots