Thread: Batch Cutting Cloth On A Scrollsaw

Batch Cutting Cloth On A Scrollsaw

I've heard of people doing this for craft production. I'm trying to help out a friend, but can't find anything definitive as to how to clamp stacks of cloth together, or what kind of blade to use. Kinda off topic for a woodworking forum, but thought someones SWMBO might have the answer!

If you have a band saw you can get a band knife (toothless band saw blade) http://www.yorksaw.com/content/view/20/86/
    If not, I guess you can try to modify your scroll saw blade some how to eliminate teeth and sharpen it well to a razor like edge. Or maybe someone makes such a thing for you saw.

The Bosch saber saw that we woodworkers know can also be equipped to cut fabrics and foam -- http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp00834-0805.html Yeah, that's not what you asked for, but it is interesting anyhow. There are other fabric cutting devices on that web site. Go up a level or two and look around.

I've got one of those. Came free in a Snap-on rollaway I got dirt cheap. So that's what they're worth eh? Hmm...

Blog Entries
    I'd try a lot of liquid starch -- layering cloth together cut while it's stiff then wash to separate the layers

I am a little cheap, and the fabric softener sheets that I use are too powerful for me, so I cut them in half on the bandsaw. I take the stack and clamp them tightly between two sheets of plywood and cut the works in half. I save 50% on a box of dryer sheets, and cut the scent by half! You might try a similar approach with the cloth.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll