Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My Roubo Build

I would compliment you but I am too busy cursing your talent and envying you bench right now. Does it make me feel better. Does cursing you and engaging in bench envy make me feel any better? No! But it's all I'm capable of after reviewing that brilliant presentation. Darn you! Darn you to heck, for making me aspire to something!

[QUOTE=Michael Peet;1674583]

So I slapped together a couple prototype dogs, and fabricated a jig for my router. The dog holes are tilted forward by 3°:

Why the forward tilt? Is it something you came up with, or it a common approach? Also, I must say I love the workmanship and the informative post.
    Thanks,
    Paul

Cannot decide if the bench itself or the built summary presentation is outstanding... I guess I have to say both. Thanks for documenting the process and sharing it.

Thanks for the kind comments, folks. If it helps or inspires one person, it was worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Cahill View Post
    Why the forward tilt? Is it something you came up with, or it a common approach?
    Paul, it seems to be common for rectangular dogs; not my idea. The theory is that the slight forward tilt on opposing dogs will impart some downward force when you clamp something, thereby holding it firmly to the work surface.

Mike

Great bench and even better write up.

I love the thread! But I have to disagree on the 621. I have owned quite a few routers and this is my favorite. My fine adjustment screw is quite tight and I cannot imagine it moving on it's own. Also since you were making your dogs, one for each hole you could have made one or two a different width. But I understand why you went ahead and made them consistent.

Thanks again for the thread!
    Salem

Great looking bench. I like the blow by blow description

Glad I stumbled across this thread as I am also contemplating a Roubo build. First, congrats to Michael on a great build and an equally great step by step pictorial.
    I think Michael perfectly hit upon the very reason for attempting a project like this, that is because it is hard. There were quite a few techniques that he was attempting for the first time and he didn't back down or take the easy way out when those options presented themselves, and that to me makes the result far greater than the bench itself. The chances taken and the techniques learned improve our woodworking skills far more than the most expensive store bought bench ever can. My reason for building a bench is to get more in touch with the hand tool side of woodworking, in particular hand planes. They have always been a bit intimidating to me, but during those brief times when I'm honest with myself I admit that no true skilled woodworker can function without being adept with these tools, and I'm committed to learning to use them properly.
    Michael posted numerous times about using his LN #7, and cleaning up tenons with his shoulder plane or smoothing some end grain with his low angle block plane. That to me is real wood working. Skill worth aspiring to. Ending up with a beautiful bench for the effort is just icing on the cake.
    Thanks again Michael.
    Last edited by Joe Leigh; 06-10-2011 at 1:13 PM.

Thanks for the write-up and detailed photos! I hope someday I can build something half as good (someday!).

Michael,
    THANKS! I took delivery Wednesday on the 8/4 Ash for my bench. I got the Benchcrafted vises for Christmas from my "keeper", read LOML. I'm itching to start. Thanks for the great write up. I'll be checking it often in the coming weeks or months if it comes to that.
    Thanks again,
    Tom

Very nice sir. Is there a plan somewhere one could obtain? I could surely use three of four of theses benches in my hobby shop.
    I do things on a larger scale than most so please be understanding so I don't have to play my "Go Big Or Go Home" card.
    It's a Texas thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Van Dolsen View Post
    Very nice sir. Is there a plan somewhere one could obtain? I could surely use three of four of theses benches in my hobby shop.
    Benchcrafted has plans as well as hardware available. Check out their website for details. http://benchcrafted.com

i just recently completed one of their benches. You can view it here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ally-completed!

Clint

Thanks a bunch for the link Clint.
    I do things on a larger scale than most so please be understanding so I don't have to play my "Go Big Or Go Home" card.
    It's a Texas thing.

fyi, this thread is over 4 years old. Not a problem, but just letting you know to temper your expectations about whether you get a response.

A really nice write up just the same (belated congrats Michael), and a triumph of maintaining standards through an unimaginable amount of hand work...