Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Jet DC cone tech - WHY NO RETROFIT????

I always thought "the baffle" was part of a pre-separator before the dust collector. While I'm sure it works, it never has appealed to me due space constraints and the loss in CFM that would be incurred due to the arrangement. HOWEVER, putting this in the collector does interest me. Phil, maybe I do not understand (which happens alot), but how is your baffle installed in the units like we are discussing? The other thought I had was to create a roof and outlet pipe configuration similar to a cyclone in this type of unit. I admit I got this idea from a post on this thread. Maybe this is what everyone is referring to? I would be willing to accept some additional losses in the collector, if I didn't have to give up floor space too. I think there would be a net gain due to reduced cartridge filter loading. It is a dusty mess to clean out.

Mike

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    if the cone is counterproductive, phil, then what do these pics of a jet DC owner added a cone say?

http://ary.com/WoodWorking/Shop/Jet/index.html

i am a fan of your work and have constructed two 5 gallon pail separators, so i know the baffle works. the added cones or salad bowls or wok/wok lids just seem to significantly increase the effectiveness of these single stage collectors so easily that it makes it a very tempting modification.

if a baffle were to be added instead, what are your thoughts on how to mount it within the dust collector drum? when i built my 5 gallon separators, the baffle was suspended from the bucket lid with 3 long bolts. any thoughts on how to mount the baffle to the DC drum?
    Anything that serves as a sort of parition works. From there, though, we try to improve things. Especially when it comes to the finest dust.

And that is where the cone falls apart. Because the incoming airstream is being pushed in two directions by the cone, both UP, and DOWN. It acts like a ramp, forcing some air with particulate matter up into the filter, while at the same time it pushes some air down below the bottom of the cone.

The air moving below the cone is a problem because it causes scrubbing. Fast-moving air moves down into the bag and re-suspends debris, lifting the finest dust and giving it a chance to get to the filter.

The flatness of the baffle allows for an immediate pressure drop when the incoming air enters the ring. Furthermore, the larger diameter of the baffle decouples of the air above the baffle, from the air below. Basically, it allows the air below the baffle to slow enough that debris isn't re-suspended. This becomes critically important as the bottom bag fills.

In terms of mounting, I've seen everything, from dowels to cross-dowels into thicker baffles, to welding. In fact, you can google "thien baffle" or "thien separator" and look for images to get lots of ideas on how to implement things.

I hope this answers your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    I always thought "the baffle" was part of a pre-separator before the dust collector. While I'm sure it works, it never has appealed to me due space constraints and the loss in CFM that would be incurred due to the arrangement. HOWEVER, putting this in the collector does interest me. Phil, maybe I do not understand (which happens alot), but how is your baffle installed in the units like we are discussing? The other thought I had was to create a roof and outlet pipe configuration similar to a cyclone in this type of unit. I admit I got this idea from a post on this thread. Maybe this is what everyone is referring to? I would be willing to accept some additional losses in the collector, if I didn't have to give up floor space too. I think there would be a net gain due to reduced cartridge filter loading. It is a dusty mess to clean out.

Mike

Mike
    If you google "thien baffle" and click on "Images," you will find people that have modified the rings of their DC with my baffle. Again, tons of ways to skin this cat.

The modification works well. I have heard from many people that were on a path to get a cyclone that decided against a modified single-stage suited all their needs.

If you can't find pictures, or have questions, please let me know. I don't want to completely hijack this thread, so I'm trying to be polite on how much I type.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    If you google "thien baffle" and click on "Images," you will find people that have modified the rings of their DC with my baffle. Again, tons of ways to skin this cat.

The modification works well. I have heard from many people that were on a path to get a cyclone that decided against a modified single-stage suited all their needs.

If you can't find pictures, or have questions, please let me know. I don't want to completely hijack this thread, so I'm trying to be polite on how much I type.
    Thanks Phil, I think I'll try it.

Mike