Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jet DC cone tech - WHY NO RETROFIT????

I made my own, I will take some pics after the weekend if anyone is interested. Very simple, a piece of 1 1/2" flat iron with a couple of slight angles bent in each end, followed by 4 self tapping sheet metal screws. I drilled a hole in the center and mounted a 14" disc from a gang disc, (tractor supply co.) suspended from the strap iron with a 3/8" bolt. The total job cost less than $22.00. I wont comment on the performance yet as I have run very little materail through it. No loss of cfm that I can notice.

From what I ahve seen of the Thein Baffle and the Jet Vortex. They don't appear to be installed the same. As I understand the Thein Baffle (isn't cool to have a "product" with your name on it Phil?) goes above the inlet between the inlet and the upper cartridge filter. The Jet DC I saw had the cone starting below the inlet and pointing up towards the filter. ie., installed directly opposite of the Thein Baffle. Can any one else confirm if these orientation/installations are correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    From what I ahve seen of the Thein Baffle and the Jet Vortex. They don't appear to be installed the same. As I understand the Thein Baffle (isn't cool to have a "product" with your name on it Phil?) goes above the inlet between the inlet and the upper cartridge filter. The Jet DC I saw had the cone starting below the inlet and pointing up towards the filter. ie., installed directly opposite of the Thein Baffle. Can any one else confirm if these orientation/installations are correct?
    The baffle actually goes BELOW the inlet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    That is provided the laser cutting shop I use will be able to slide a smaller sample job between some production runs .
    Plenty of us laser guys who could help you out if you get stuck, Phil...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

To keep from stirring up what has settled?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    Plenty of us laser guys who could help you out if you get stuck, Phil...
    I didn't even think of that. We're using approx. 1/16" aluminum, you guys can cut that stuff?

To keep from stirring up what has settled?
    Yep. The entire shape and location of the baffle are designed to allow separation and to prevent re-suspension.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I didn't know that the cannister would quickly fill up with chips in use and and be a royal PIA to clean out when I ordered the machine
    I'm sorry about the performance problem. The Thein solution has helped many and would probably solve your issue as well and take no longer to install than an after-market fix if one was available. This is all good news for you and this thread will help those folks who post the recurring question "why do I need a cyclone?".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

So Jet made it a cone shape. OK. Does anyone see an added benefit to the shape difference?

So Jet made it a cone shape. OK. Does anyone see an added benefit to the shape difference?
    Cones are one of the first shapes I played with. They worked okay for chips, not so hot on fines.

DC with a Thien baffle:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MSOCePr35s

Jet DC w/ Cone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-KNCb7bEkc

Note how much the debris in the bottom bag of the Jet unit is spinning. That level of agitation is going to re-suspend fines and send them right to the filter.

Pay close attention to the unit w/ the Thien Baffle. The dust slowly falls to the bottom of the bag, then stays put.

If you want to clean the DC less often and increase the performance just get this. It really works great. I've got two.

Bret

http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-G...eparator/G3376

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Duffin View Post
    If you want to clean the DC less often and increase the performance just get this. It really works great. I've got two.

Bret

http://www.grizzly.com/products/30-G...eparator/G3376
    Bret, Are you familiar with the Thien baffle? If not, read up on it.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I didn't even think of that. We're using approx. 1/16" aluminum, you guys can cut that stuff?
    Ah, metal... I doubt anyone on this board has the proper machine for cutting metal (at least laser wise). That said, don't forget quite a few of us have CNC routers, and 1/16" aluminum would be no thing for them.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Bret, Are you familiar with the Thien baffle? If not, read up on it.
    Glen,

Now that I've read up on the Thien Baffle I know a little bit about it. I would still recommend the garbage can separator as it most chips and from filling up the lower bag too fast. I would guess I can empty the chips out of the garbage can 10 times before replacing the lower bag. It also makes recycling easier. The chips go into the compost pile and the fine dust goes in the garbage.

Bret

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Duffin View Post
    Glen,

Now that I've read up on the Thien Baffle I know a little bit about it. I would still recommend the garbage can separator as it most chips and from filling up the lower bag too fast. I would guess I can empty the chips out of the garbage can 10 times before replacing the lower bag. It also makes recycling easier. The chips go into the compost pile and the fine dust goes in the garbage.

Bret
    Hi Bret.

Before moving and upgrading some of my equipment (including my DC to a cyclone) I had a 2 stage DC very much like what you describe (i.e. using a trash can). What I, and many other here did, is make a Thien baffle for the trash can. Unless I am mistaken the Thien baffle was intended for just such an application, so while nobody here that I know of is likely to challenge your premise, it is made even more effective by adding the Thien baffle.
    Regards,

Glen

Woodworking: It's a joinery.