Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Jet DC cone tech - WHY NO RETROFIT????

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Blanchard View Post
    Hi Bret.

Before moving and upgrading some of my equipment (including my DC to a cyclone) I had a 2 stage DC very much like what you describe (i.e. using a trash can). What I, and many other here did, is make a Thien baffle for the trash can. Unless I am mistaken the Thien baffle was intended for just such an application, so while nobody here that I know of is likely to challenge your premise, it is made even more effective by adding the Thien baffle.
    Glen,

I'm a little confused now. From what I've just read, I thought the Thien Baffle was to be installed in the DC to keep the upper bag or filter from clogging with dust. If that is the case then the lower bag will fill up just as fast as without the Thien.

With the cyclone separator installed upstream from the DC, it collects chips and large dust and keeps it out of the lower bag. The garbage can is light even when filled with chips and can be quickly taken out and emptied.

I think the ideal system would have both the garbage can cyclone and the Thien baffle. One does not eliminate the need for the other.

Bret

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret Duffin View Post
    I thought the Thien Baffle was to be installed in the DC to keep the upper bag or filter from clogging with dust. If that is the case then the lower bag will fill up just as fast as without the Thien.
    Many people don't have the space for a separate unit, so they just install the Thien separator directly in the DC... but I believe that came after the separate unit trials.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

One issue with the trash can cyclones if you can't use them with 6" hoses unless you have a honkin' big trashcan-like 6' in diameter or something like that. According to Bill Pentz every chip will go right through the cyclone and end up in either the bag or filter when used with 6" lines/hoses. There's too much airflow for it to slow down and drop the waste; it just keeps on flowing right through the can. The Thien baffle can be configured in a few different ways. People build "top hat" configurations to sit on top of a trash can like the cyclone lids, mount a D.C. blower with the "top hat" configuration on top of a metal can with a Thien baffle built into it or mounted in the bottom of a conventional D.C. metal funnel. I have the last one because it takes up the least room and still keeps the filter clean. Which one is best? Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?, boxers or briefs? Chevy or Ford? Pick one that suits your fancy and be happy.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 04-25-2011 at 8:55 AM.

Unfortunately, Jet seems to have the disposable philosophy that most companies have adopted or they simply do not believe there is going to be demand for it.

If it is the former, and they believe they've come up with a modification that is of great value, but would rather have you resign your old collector to the landfill and buy a new one they should be ashamed. After all the reason you pay twice as much for the Jet as a clone is that you are trying to buy a tool over superior quality that you believe will last for a long time. In this respect I totally agree with Sean.

However, it is also quite possible that they believe that there are only a small number of people that would be interested in the upgrade, thus the decision not to offer it.

Hopefully the demand issue is what they are operating on and not the disposable product theory. Though given the way most companies seem to operate these days, I have become quite skeptical.

5. When purchasing a product, you selected the technology that it comes with. You can either build a Thein separator or live with the product. For now no one else is making the Cone set up. If it is any good, someone will build a cone system.

There, fixed it, everybody happy.
    Last edited by Howard Bueling; 04-25-2011 at 8:48 PM.

Howard, your analogies are poor. I didn't buy a Jet broom and claim they should provide the parts to turn it into a 1.5 HP dust collector. I bought a model 1100 just like the one they now offer with the minor addition of a cone suspended inside from a small bracket.

Howard,

I could use your same logic for the opposite reasoning.

When you buy a Cable TV Package and a new channel comes out you expect to be able to purchase that new channel dont you?
    When you buy a Computer and a new operating system comes out, you expect to be able to buy it and upgrade your computer dont you?
    When your Cordless Drill switches from nicad to lithium we expected to be able for them to work in our old dewalt drills, and they did didnt they?

Blog Entries
    im with adrian on this, im into computers but i dont buy a new one every time something gets upgraded.
    a bigger hard drive comes out, i might get it. bigger processors, etc...
    i will install a new part here and there but i sure wont buy a whole new system!

and from what i have seen with that cone it looks super simple and im sure someone will come out with it if jet doesnt, and
    i will buy it if i dont make my own.

I ran quite a bit of material through my DC today, this simple add on made quite a difference. I removed my filter after close to 1/3 a bag full of chips and dust, there was very little in the filter itself. This is a very noticeable improvement. Here are a couple pics, 1 of my $23.00 cone and 1 of the filter after use.
    IMG_20110425_191026.jpg IMG_20110425_191050.jpg

I haven't read all this thread(lazy??). Obviously ( to me) the design, engineering, machine tooling, what have you, has all been done by jet. Why not call the factory, and say hey produce
    a few hundred or thousand extra whachamacallits, and float them as a trial upgrade for all our happy owners of the Jet 1100. Think of it as an auto TSB or recall, and make the part kit available to jet customers , or not .....just thinking outloud, plus mabye I could retro fit it to my Delta 50-580 if it had good reviews.
    Blood will flow when flesh and steel are one - Sting

Blog Entries
    jeff, how about a pic of your cone itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Gregoire View Post
    jeff, how about a pic of your cone itself?
    I did not take any photo's of the cone. As I stated in an earlier post, all I used is a replacement 14" disc from a gang disc (like one you use in the field). The disc has a very nice cone to it, also it is very heavy duty. I did have to weld a 3/8" washer to the middle of it, as a gang disc uses a square shaft. The disc was $18.00, the most expensive part of the mod.

IMO, any type of coned disc will do the job, I also thought of checking out the hvac dept. at a borg store, a chimney cap or something of the sort would work also.

I'm sure a thein separator would be more efficient, but for the time and money I have invested, I'll stick with it for awhile.

Sean, I'm with you although I can also see the suppliers side. I don't know how many times I've bought a product only to find it obsolete a year latter. That's also a bad deal for you because you can't even sell it at a decent price. I think the impeller on your Jet may be about 12". You got enough parts there to build a mini cyclone system that would put a centrifugal separator to shame. Check out Oneidas site for their Super DD. It sells for about $220. That's a bit pricey. I would wager a sheet metal shop could make one similar for $100. There is not much to them and are very easy to build.

So for $100 bucks you could upgrade your Jet to a killer portable system. Think about it.

Thanks, Aaron.

By the way, I just called Jet customer service. The 1100 manual now lists the cone parts (47-53 on the list - cone and bracket with all the nuts and bolts). So I read off the actual number for the first part on the list to the representative - the one for the cone itself - and she says, "okay, five hundred and ninety dollars, next ..." I just burst out laughing. Pity the fools who might eventually need this as a replacement part!

I think Phil Thiens premade sepertors will be the best deal in price and effectiveness, but it is tempting to find the right diameter kitchen pan, Wok, or maybe a pan used for panning gold and mount it with a metal strap. Sorry, it sounds silly, huh.