Thread: shaker lap desk build

shaker lap desk build

I just started my new project. It is a shaker inspired lap desk made out of maple and the lid is going to have walnut trim around the edge. I will post the plans for this project, and I will keep you guys updated on the build.

I could not find the plans on pop. wood so here is a pic of it off the site.

Quote Originally Posted by michael a nelson View Post
    I just started my new project. It is a shaker inspired lap desk made out of maple and the lid is going to have walnut trim around the edge. I will post the plans for this project, and I will keep you guys updated on the build.
    This will make a nice project, Michael. Are you thinking of banding the lid with walnut? If so, how will you accomodate the movement on the lid?

Actually now that I think of it ,it will be rather unstable for movement thanks for pointing that out .Also I was thinking blo and shellac for finish do you think this will be substantial enough to handle the wear on the writing surface?

Blog Entries
    You will find the desk in Sketchup 3d Warehouse. The name of the file is "Portable Writing Desk".

get-attachment.aspx.jpghere are some of the pics of the desk pieces.

2.jpg7.jpghere are two more progress pics

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the thread. Keep posting. I want to make one myself soon.

lap desk.jpgmade the lid today hoping to get the hinges attached and bottom on tomorrow

65.jpg125.jpghere are two more pics with the lid and base attached now all i have to do is stain it

12. My first post

13. pic trouble with the shaker lap desk

ill try and put a few more up

IMG_3017.jpg

These are nice projects. Chris Griggs posted a similar build - Lap Desk in a weekend - a few years back. He has a link to the plans in his thread if anyone is interested.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...k-In-A-Weekend.