Thread: Small Step Stool

Small Step Stool

I'd been meaning to make myself one of these for some time. My shop is in my basement and I have standard 8' ceilings. There are times when things up high are just out of reach for me and I figured a step stool would be a lot easier than dragging out a ladder every time.

I had initially imagined something utilitarian - made out of scraps or even (dare I say it?) 2x4s and plywood. As the design took shape I decided to take the long way around and use this project to try some things I'd never done before; namely angled mortise and tenons.

The primary wood is soft maple. There is some figured maple trim around the top board. I also used the figured stuff for the tiny moulding around the center support.

The reason for the center support between the stretcher and the top (I've taken to calling it a vertical stretcher), is because of the immense amount of weight the step stool will have to put up with (me!).

The tusks for the stretcher are made of bloodwood. The primary finish is Waterlox original. I'm also applying coats of General Finishes High Performance 450 to the top for durability.

-Mike

IMG_0747.jpgIMG_0749.jpgIMG_0745.jpg

Awesome work. I really like it. The vertical stretcher as you call it, is cool.

Nice stout design. I like it!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Stools are great fun. The through tenons on the top are terrific.
    Stan

Like others have said -- That is a cool one! Nice work!