Thread: Sycamore: worth the trouble?

Sycamore: worth the trouble?

I have access to some nice logs from a recently felled tree, and a nearby sawyer who is fairly priced. I've read that quartersawn sycamore has nice figure. I've also heard from a local farmer it doesn't last long in his applications (trailer beds, etc.).

It would take a large trailer (Ihave to scrounge that somewhere) and either a piece of heavy equipment of more imagination than I've mustered to date to get it milled. I would air dry.

Is it worth the effort to get/mill these logs, and is quartersawn the best/only way?

Thanks for any feedback.

Quartersawn sycamore not only looks wonderful, but it's also the best way to get stable material from this species from what I've been told. I have a piece that I got from Donnie Raines and it's awesome!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Sycamore is too unstable to use other than quartersawn. Fortunately, it is beautiful that way. It is a lightweight but strong wood that is not particularly rot resistant, so truck beds are a bad use. But drawer sides or entire lightweight boxes are excellent uses.

Here is a picture of some curly QS syc. that I milled. Yours will probably not have the wavey curls, but the lacey flecks will all be there. Make sure your sawyer knows how to QS!

http://www.woodnshop.com/wood_images/SYCAMOREQTR.jpg

Andy,

If you have the logs and a sawyer who can truly 1/4-saw the logs (vs. mostly rift-sawing them) - go for it. My wife saw sycamore flooring samples and loved them, but at $6-7/ft, it wasn't gonna happen (that was dried and milled).

1/4'd sycamore is really pretty stuff.

Andy,

Have it sawn and stack it with a lot of weight on top. You won't be unhappy.

If you've never had logs quartersawn before, check out my page on it at http://www.scottbanbury.com/quartersawing.html

Good luck!

Quartersawing

Scott;
    Great explanation of quartersawing techniques-thanks
    George

George/Scott
    I second George's comment, great information Scott....Thanks. Is there anykind of 'rule of thumb' regarding diameter of Sycamore (or any species for that matter) that represents min. size you would consider for QS'ing? I have limited experience with Sycamore, had some plain sawn that twisted so badly it ended up as kindling...also had a little QS material that made some excellent drawer sides and misc. craft (serving trays) type projects. Andy, I'd have this material QS and enjoy using it.

Thanks to all for your responses/opinions, particulary Scott for the website (I'll use that info) and Tom for the picture. That is a puuurrrty piece of wood. I'm sure that picture was posted before, and is the one I remembered that made me go after these logs.

I've already checked my chainsaw to prep the logs...need fuel, and I'm ready to go. I may need to modify the shed plans (building this spring) and enlarge the space I was making for this purpose.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Gale Castner
    George/Scott
    I second George's comment, great information Scott....Thanks. Is there anykind of 'rule of thumb' regarding diameter of Sycamore (or any species for that matter) that represents min. size you would consider for QS'ing? I have limited experience with Sycamore, had some plain sawn that twisted so badly it ended up as kindling...also had a little QS material that made some excellent drawer sides and misc. craft (serving trays) type projects. Andy, I'd have this material QS and enjoy using it.
    With Oak, I usually don't "truly" quarter it (Method 3) unless it's 30" or better in diameter. If it's smaller--down to 18" in diameter, I'll use Method 1 or 2. I generally don't plainsaw Oak unless a customer requests it or the log has heart rot, in which case I'll grade saw it to get what i can out of the sound portion of the log.

With Sycamore, I always quartersaw, as the material is far too unstable plainsawn. Since end uses are traditionally drawer sides, I'm not overly worried about width and will QS logs as small as 14" knowing that my resulting widths will be 3" to 6". I saw it 5/4 so I can resaw it later to 1/2" or better.

Scott,

Thanks for the information, very informative. I was curious about diameter since I've got a couple in the 14 to 18" range, one of which (14" of course) will have to go if I build a shop this spring. I've got another one at back of property thats a good 24-28", don't really want to take it down....but if I did it would probably take a chinook to get it out without tearing up a dozen other trees.
    Again, Thanks for the good info.

Yes

I love how sycamore looks qtr sawn.. Here is link to a small box I made from some.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=8897

chris
    "I have worked myself up from nothing to extreme poverty." Groucho Marx
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheChrisPineWorkshop