Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cabinet saw candidates: need to thin out the pack

Question cabinet saw candidates: need to thin out the pack

After deciding on a new jointer and planer, I've decided to also upgrade my tablesaw from a basic hobbyist to a cabinet saw. After looking over the net, I've come up with the following candidates and want to thin out the list:

Harbor Freight 43578-1VGA (Has anyone ever actually bought this?)
    General International 50-250M1
    Grizzly 1023S
    Jet JTAS-10
    Bridgewood BW10LTS
    Woodtek 114-761
    Shop Fox W1677EXT1
    Delta 36-831A Unisaw
    Delta Industrial 36-732 (731 or 732?)
    Sunhill CT250T

My basic objective is to reach the best performance vs. pricepoint possible. I'd like to keep the "as delivered" price as close to $1000.00 as possible (I realize that may be very tough.) while getting as fully featured a cabinet saw as I can. My upper limit will likely be around $1500.00. I think I'll be more than satisifed with 3HP and a Beisemeyer or clone fence. I'm sure there's a lot of thought process I'm not looking at about what to look for in a cabinet saw, so I'd like to get folk's thoughts on what they've felt was important in a cabinet saw. Also, what negative features I may want to avoid or are unnecessary in the cabinet saw. I am interested in future dust collection capabilities and I'm also interested in compatability with aftermarket "widgets."

Can you folks help me get to thinking about what's important in a cabinet saw and what's not?

Thank you,

Dave
    Dave in Flowery Branch, GA

Talking Think Green

Dave, I have a Grizzly 1023SL, I believe it is close to, or as good as, any saw you will find in the sub $1200 market. I don't know how it competes with a Delta or a Jet cabinet saw, but it is priced to compete with a Delta or Powermatic contractor saw, and it will blow them away, as would any 3hp cabinet saw, ie. Grizzley, Yorkcraft, Shop Fox, Bridgewood, etc. Steve

You won't find many people unhappy owners of their 'first' cabinet saws, because they're almost certainly an improvement over the saw they replaced. I've used Powermatic(s), Unisaw(s), Xacta(s), and a Grizzly 1023ZX. Of these, the only one I wouldn't buy is the Grizzly. When I bought the JET for my shop, I went shopping with money in hand for the Unisaw, but the Woodcraft boys convinced me I'd be just as happy with the JET...and I'd go home with about $300 more in my pocket than I'd planned on. They were right. I see no functional difference between the JET, Delta, and PM. In my opinion, the Grizzly I worked with didn't belong in the same category...but they've made great strides in the past few years, and most buyers seem pleased.

Kinda like buying a car...they'll all get you where you're going. What color do you like, and which way do you want the motor cover door to open?

KC

What is your preference in terms of delivery? Do you want to pick it up in a store, or are you OK buying it based on recomendations and reputaion? Not sure why kirk ruled OUT the grizzly, but he is in the minority, most people LOVE grizzly, I have used one and it would be on my short list with Bridgewood and General. Nut the last 2 may put you over your limit. Have you looked at redmund-machinery.com? They are in GA and have an excellent reputaion. I would get the grizzly if i were you.

Quick, call the folks at Wilke and have them throw that BW10LTS on the truck with the jointer and planer.

I'm real pleased with mine. The top is as flat right out of the box as i could measure, no burrs or sharp edges to clean up, 50" rip capacity. It doesn't come with a table and legs for the right side so i made my own and saved $100.

I'm not sure about the other sellers but Wilke does a setup and test run of the machines they sell which greatly reduces any possible problems when your saw is delivered.

Check out this thread where i've posted a couple saws with CI tops removed.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13579

Some things to check for:
    Magnetic switch (starter). Prevents the saw from restarting after a power failure. IMHO, this is a Must-Have.

A fence that can me picked up and rremoved without having to slide it off the end of the saw. This is more of a personal preferance and it does prevent the use of fence mounted holdowns. If you want an aftermarket fence, most places will give you a slight discount if you order the saw without a fence.

Rip capacity. Most fall into one of two sizes ~30" or ~50". You can gain a few inches from either by redrilling the holes in the rails and shifting the whole setup to the right.

Right or left tilt. Many prefer left (me included) but thats your choice.

Does it come with a motor cover. Metal or plastic?

Any of the saws you listed should perform well and last long enough for your great grandson to use. As we've stated before, good customer support should be high on your What-to-look-for list, followed closely by how close the seller is to where you are.

Good luck with your choice!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

As I said, most buyers of RECENT Grizzly saws are happy...but that hasn't always been the case. My experience is based on a several year (five or six) old saw. I've posted about that saw many times over the years on several forums, and usually heap praise on the 8" jointer and 20" planer we got at the same time just so folks don't think I'm anti-green. Maybe we got a lemon...

A very unprofessional opinion, I have yet to use any of them, awaiting delivery, so this is just buyers homework, too much of it...

It's almost a pick your color kind of thing, I just got done doing the same thing you are and since Griz raised their prices they all can be dropped in the street in front of your house for almost exactly the same $$$. Forget the $1000 you mentioned though, figure $1400 give or take a few. For me it was either the Jet or Uni but only cause go look at those two, the rest I would have had to do on faith (I did see the PM66 and General 350, nice saws if you can swing it). After market add ons seem to be most plentiful for the Uni and Jet, with the Griz gaining. They all have a Bies knockoff if not the real deal available if that's what you want, the newer jet might even be a step up. The $1000 saws couldn't get close to meeting the $1400 units in quality. Suprisingly to me I could find more of the cheaper ones to check out then the better ones. If you're willing to spend 1500, then the difference leaves the 1000 ones out. This should pare down your list some.
    If it matters to you the only saw I could find made in the US is the PM with the Delta close behind this year. The General 350/650's are made in Canada, the rest are overseas, somewhere.
    No where did I see a $1000 saw measure up to a $1400 one, two different classes. Same can be said of a $1400 measuring up to a $2000 one.

I have no idea or opinion on the saws. But I have a unifence and like it. I haven't figured out a great way to clamp a sacrificial fence to it without it moving slightly. Other than that, it is a great fence. The feature that allows you to slide it toward you has been indispensable to me.

Stefan

My Shop Fox

came home 2 1/2 years ago for $980. Other than a maintenance routine every 6 months that I've done ... I haven't even had to adjust the fence. Its a great cabinet saw and doubt seriously if putting out another $600 would have enable me do to anything more than this one has done. It'll still balance a nickel even though its home is in the back of a horse stable and has to have a tarp kept over it to protect it.

I very, very happy with my 1023S. But given you choice I would think seriously about the General. One heck of a saw. WW Supply you cna get a first buyers discount and get a good deal on the Delta. But again, I am very pleased with my Grizzly.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Have you considered purchasing a good used cabinet saw.

You can go to my web site by clicking on the bullet next to my name & select my home page & then select 1953 Unisaw at the top of the page.

Beware my web site has pop ups it is the price I pay for a free site.

It take a bit more work but I think the old machines are pretty neat.

I especially like the heavy duty quality's like the cast iron base & thick sidewalls of the case & cast iron control wheels.

Sometimes I wondered if all the work was worth it, but now that I have it in my shop I'd do it all over again.

Hmm I wonder rehab a 10" jointer hmmmmm? Well I'd probably have to re-arrange the shop......
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Jet

I say go with a used saw if you have the opportunity. I bought a used Jet saw last year and it was in better than new shape. I paid around a $1,000 for it as I bought a package that included a bunch of extras including a 6" jet jointer. I love the saw.

Save money go used and help someone upgrade to the next level.

About 10 years ago, I bought the Powermatic 66 with the Beismeyer fence. I consider it my "Best friend" in the shop...it is accurate and dependable. I haven't even serviced it. I never feel like I need to upgrade either.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Cabinet saw choices

Right now Amazon.com has the left-tilt Jet Xacta saw (#708663MBK) with 50" Xacta fence and micro adjust upgrade and mobile base for $1499.99. It has free shipping, and until Feb. 14 you can get another $25 off, making the total $1474.99. I ordered one two weeks ago, and it's sitting at a truck dock 30 miles from my house, to be delivered on Tuesday. According to all the reviews I've read, it is an excellent choice. Woodworkers Supply in Atlanta has some Delta Unisaws on sale for $1499.99, also with free shipping. It seems that with Grizzly's recent price increases, there's hardly any economic difference between the 1023 and Delta or Jet cabinet saws. In fact, a Grizzly comparably equipped to the Jet I bought would come to a higher price (with shipping) than the Amazon deal. If you don't need the long fence rails, you could probably do even better than $1500 on a Unisaw, Jet, Bridgewood, or Shop Fox (which is also a good one to consider).

Consider the full picture. When I was shopping, I had narrowed it down to the Grizzly, Jet, and Delta (the Bridgewood wasn't around then). I wanted the saw with a 50" Bies style fence, a moble base, DC hookup and motor cover. Most of these things are optional on some saws and included in others. When I went to the WW show, I wound up getting a Unisaw with everything for about $75 more than the Grizzly would've cost to upgrade everything. That was nearly made up for by using the $29 Delta removable splitter instead of ordering a Bies for any of the other saws.
    Overall, I'm certain I would be happy with any of the saws. A year later, the Bridgewood may have won. It looks pretty nice. Plus, the show deal I got on the Uni wasn't as good any more.
    From what I had heard, I expected to come home with a Jet. But, they had no deal at the show at all (full Amazon price). I guess it depends on the show and who the dealer representing the brand is.

Jay
    Jay St. Peter