Thread: blade guides for bandsaw......

blade guides for bandsaw......

Hey guys, just got my new grizzly 513x2 17" bandsaw in. I've never owned a bandsaw but was looking at the blade guides and there is a gap between them. In other words the blade doesnt actually turn the guides when it's running there is a space of about 3/16 on either side of the blade. Are the guides supposed to be in contact with the blade? Thanks.

Set the bearings with a dollar bill between the blade and bearings.
    Use a hundred if you want better accuracy.
    A piece of painters tape also works.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    I would suggest you get Mark Duginske's book http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...nske&x=16&y=23 and do a search here and find Van Huskey's thread "Let's talk bandsaws". Lots of good information in both. There's lots more to setting up a BS than the blade guides. And, BTW, congrats on your new toy.

Better crack open that owners manual Kevin. There are full instructions on how to set the guides and how much clearance. I bring up one side so it JUST KISSES against the blade. No pressure on the side of the blade what so ever. Then bring up the other side and use a dollar bill as a feeler gauge. Then I turn the wheel around by hand to make sure the blade weld goes through the guides smoothly. Reading that manual will help you a bunch.

Blog Entries
    RTFM, RTFM, Read That Fine Manual . It sounds like you have not even gone through the basic setup yet. As this is your first saw (great choice by the way) I would get very familiar with the tool and some techniques. Check your wheels for co-planer, learn how to set (and reset) your guides. Get rid of that blade that came on it and get some that will do what your really intend to do, etc.

Do not believe the talk that "Bandsaws are Safe". You know what butchers use to cut up critters, right? The bandsaw is a wonderful tool and you will only find more and more things to do with it. Do a little reading and practice different cuts. You will become comfortable very quickly but, always remain diligent about safety. Have fun!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I've read the manual from front to back on several occasions. i've looked at the coplaner and done the measurement the the dollar but there are no adjustments for the two guides to come closer towards each other and thus both of them "kissing" the blade at the same time. I dunno maybe i'll have to provide a pic . Thanks so far though fellas!!

I'll second what Glenn said. Get rid of the blade that came with it, and buy a good one. I like Timberwolf, others like different blades.
    After you get the saw up and running, take a diamond hone, sharpening stone, etc. and smooth the back edge, and back corners of the blade, with the saw running.
    Makes a big difference.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Do not run out and start replacing parts yet. I admit that I did that, and after digging into things and figuring it out, all that was really wrong on my machine was the setup. You might find the Wood Whisperer Video on Youtube helpful for some of the basics, but if you really want to fine tune things one of the books suggested is the way to go.

Brad

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin J Lalonde View Post
    I've read the manual from front to back on several occasions. i've looked at the coplaner and done the measurement the the dollar but there are no adjustments for the two guides to come closer towards each other and thus both of them "kissing" the blade at the same time. I dunno maybe i'll have to provide a pic . Thanks so far though fellas!!
    I think it's page 32 in the manual (I'm looking at it on-line so not sure) but refer to Figure 32. After the instructions for the lateral adjustment of the bearings so they are just behind the gullets you will find:

Loosen the bearing rotation adjustment cap
    screws.

Rotate the knurled knob to position the
    bearings 0.004" away from the blade.
    Note:

0.004" is approximately the thickness of a
    dollar bill.
    Tighten the cap screw to lock the blade guide
    bearings in position.

9. Repeat this procedure for the lower guides.

The bearing rotation cap screw appears to be on the side of the bearing block. The knurled knob is on the front of the bearing. If it's like my G0555X, it's an eccentric adjustment.

See the PDF on-line manual, pages 27 - 28, or pages 25- 26 of the printed manual for instructions how use a dollar bill, etc., to set the side bearing guides to the blade.
    Specifically, see figure #26: loosen the thumb screws to adjust the bearings in or out. Do the same with the lower bearings.
    A link to the PDF manual can found here:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/17-Bandsaw-2-HP/G0513