Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cherry Burl: 24-1

Cherry Burl: 24-1

After roughing out most of the straight grain cherry and some of the holly I picked up last weekend, I felt the need for a change. Picked out this burl and laid a template on it to see where to cut the ends.
    2011-04-07_12-00-04_221.jpg
    Split it through the pith
    2011-04-07_12-06-15_369.jpg
    Then rounded off the corners.
    2011-04-07_12-17-39_49.jpg
    Carried it inside thinking I was going to mount it between centers so I could adjust as needed. After setting it on an old scale I keep in the shop and seeing 98#, I decided to screw on a faceplate. Mounted it on the lathe thinking I would round the back a bit first to get rid of some weight and perhaps balance things out.
    2011-04-07_13-24-20_921.jpg

With no room for the banjo between the blank and the headstock, I used an offset I had from my old lathe to reach. Worked well until I had a catch, then it was a dumb idea. (thought I had a picture somewhere but its still broken)Could have done it outboard but hadn’t used real long screws so wanted the tailstock to help out.

Turned a recess in the top, so I could flip it and turn the bottom,
    2011-04-07_14-15-04_123.jpg

2011-04-07_14-19-50_445.jpg

2011-04-07_14-58-33_186.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had to core in about an inch before I could position the support arm properly.

2011-04-07_15-24-40_628.jpg
    Was using the largest knife on the corer so that I could reach the bottom, but had a lot of trouble with the support arm binding in the burl. It seemed like the knife was flexing and forming a path different from the support arm. Repositioned the cutter to enlarge the cut but eventually had a catch and broke out the recess.
    2011-04-07_15-48-01_811.jpg

Had to remount grabbing the top again and return the bottom. Eventually…
    .2011-04-07_16-17-30_44.jpg
    Since the oneway corer didn’t match the outside shape, I did some more cutting inside and out to end up with an even thickness of just over1 5/8 with a foot on the bottom.
    2011-04-07_17-50-49_840.jpg

2011-04-07_17-55-23_461.jpg
    Soaked the bark inclusions with CA glue then anchorsealed it. I will stick it in a bag or cardboard box with shavings tomorrow and forget about it for a year or two.
    The pictures are only cellphone, but perhaps they will help someone. If anyone has thoughts or suggestions I am all ears!(help me)

Sounds like you had an interesting day. That is a hunk of burl. To bad you have to wait a year to finish it.

94#...my back hurts just thinking about it! I thought I was doing good with 14 rough-outs today LOL! Go Baxter!

That is a nice looking burl! Are you going to core the rest of the set? Will they be NE bowls? I guess we'll have to wait a while to see the finish product.
    Man advances just in proportion that he mingles thought with his labor. - Ingersoll

Wow, Baxter you have been busy. That thing is big. Thanks for sharing the coring pics. Now we will have to wait!

I have only moral support to offer Baxter...and that you take on a lot of stuff that others would shrink from. Do you have an outlet for your bowls? Given the quality of the quanity you make, they must sell like hotcakes!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Baxter, you can just ship me that ol' useless chunk from the middle!!!! I mean, it's just in the way - may as well help you out!

Impressive work, and sorry about the banjo extension. Seems I had read some prior threads about the dangers of using one of those when I first started turning.

Baxter.... with turning projects like that, you could cancel your gym membership!

Baxter, that's going to be a beauty. Now the hard part...waiting!!!
    Whippingwater
    What if the Hokey Pokey REALLY IS what it's all about.

Beautiful stuff, Baxter. I hope the cherry behaves for you while drying.

Thanks for the sequence of events photos - was interesting! Very pretty wood and will keep my fingers crossed that it drys well! Looking forward to seeing it when completed!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Hill View Post
    .. I was doing good with 14 rough-outs today...
    Now that is impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by Jon McElwain View Post
    That is a nice looking burl! Are you going to core the rest of the set? Will they be NE bowls? I guess we'll have to wait a while to see the finish product.
    The big one will be a NE if I am lucky. Firewood or a few bottlestoppers if I'm not. I don't know what the rest will become.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I have only moral support to offer Baxter...and that you take on a lot of stuff that others would shrink from. Do you have an outlet for your bowls? Given the quality of the quanity you make, they must sell like hotcakes!!
    Thanks for the moral support Jim! I just do this for fun. Considering the number of roughouts I have drying I should make the effort to look for a way to get rid of them. Some come in the house, some given away as gifts, some go into cardboard boxes, and the last three I posted are still sitting on the tablesaw getting covered with chips and dust.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Baxter, you can just ship me that ol' useless chunk from the middle!!!! I mean, it's just in the way - may as well help you out.............
    Thanks John, but the "ol' useless chunk from the middle" is wet! And I know your feelings on that kind of stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by philip labre View Post
    Baxter, that's going to be a beauty. Now the hard part...waiting!!!
    Thanks Philip. When I first started this madness a little over a year ago, I had more green wood that needed to get turned before it went bad so waiting wasn't a big deal. A lot of my roughouts are now dry and ready to return, if I can just get this green stuff finished...

Thanks for commenting. Hope you enjoyed the pics and perhaps even learned a little bit... about what not to do.
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 04-08-2011 at 12:20 PM.

14. I love the beginning to "middle" threads Definitely a candidate for thread of the month!

Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Art

Looks like you had it a little rough to start with but it will all be worth it in the end. Great looking piece.