Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Control

I run mine all the time, but it's in a 'noise dampening' closet... It's still pretty loud, but I can adjust the radio to drown it out. I need to get an air scrubber. I'd love to say that I own a powered respirator, but I know that I wouldn't wear it.

David,

Aside from the filtration that the powered respirator provides... there's a side benefit.
    The air flowing over your face pretty much assures a fog free shield, and a pleasant breeze while turning.

On the rare occasion that I use a regular (Bionic brand) faceshield, I really miss the air flow. So I use the non-powered shields only when I'm away from my own shop (in a class, for example).
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

My 5 hp cyclone is in a separate closet. I run it and the ceiling airfilter whenever I am turning or sanding. 95% of the time I wear an airstream respirator as well. I have taken in enough sanding dust, drywall dust, fiberglass insulation,pressure treated etc. to become a lot more sensitive to any of it than I used to be. That being said I still don't wear the respirator for anything other than turning so am not as careful as I should be.

I use my dust collector, a 5 hp Clearvue, all the time when sanding and sometimes when turning dry wood. I also use the Trend Airshield Pro which I recently aquired. This new model seems to be very good. You do not smell the wood even when cutting pine on a tablesaw. I also use a Jet air filtration unit to scrub the air in the shop.

If you are turning green (wet) spalted wood, you should wear some type of protection to keep the fungi out of your lungs.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Check out the Dylos DC1100 air monitor. Cost is around $200 and one of the best investments you can make. Without it you are only guessing at your air quality in the shop. with it you can monitor each of your tools and the effectiveness of your dust collector and air cleaner. Be sure and take it outside to monitor outside air and in your living area as well.
    -bernie

Dust control equipment is necessary to reduce the dust and the risk of respiratory ailments, particularly where construction is concerned.There are a many different varieties of dust control products available in the marketplace today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    I know these guys are tired of my soap box
    Jim, don't get off your soap box. I lost my dad to esophageal cancer and while the doctors were hesitant to blame his work and hobby environments (asbestos, metal work, woodworking), they mentioned it more than once.

I use my homemade overhead filter (furnace blower with progressively finer furnace filters) whenever I create dust and the DC when sanding or turning dry wood. I wear the Trend whenever I'm turning and am starting to think about it in other circumstances. As far as the noise, my plan is a little shop addition for the compressor and the DC to get them outside. Noise reducing earbuds connected to a bluetooth also help and allow me to stay in touch and listen to music on the MP3 feature of my cell phone.

An added bonus is the overhead filter circulates the heat from the wood stove very well.