Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electric glue pot alternatives ?

I appreciate all the ideas and actually had a coffee cup warmer in a closet. I set it up and let it heat a jar of water for an hour. Checked it with my infra thermometer...126 degrees So, it should be good. Thanks again for the tips.

Mike

Going to resurrect this thread to ask a question: If I were to use one of those coffee cup warmers, how careful do you have to be not to cook the glue? I know Winton suggested a baby bottle warmer in a thread recently, same question on that one I guess.

coffee cup warmers
    Nah dude, nah.

I have one that won't get hot enough (the new ones are wimpy). I had an old one from twenty years ago that worked well for coffee but it might even get too hot. It died and I ordered a new one = the wimpy one.

A dial with a thermostat that goes on and off to maintain the temp seems key and if the swing is too wide from off to on it might create problems.

Baby bottle warmer is tops.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 03-22-2014 at 10:51 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

If you're going to cheap out on a glue pot, don't mess around. For the price of a couple of Martinis, just get the Rival Hot Pot Express and follow the instructions I linked to on the second post in this thread. I added some marbles to the bottom of mine because I had to heat some plastic as well. I don't use it anymore. I have a couple of very nice glue pots now, but the Hot Pot Express worked surprisingly well.

When you click on it, notice the "frequently bought together" section. I get the feeling that no one actually uses this thing for anything other than home made glue pots.

http://www.amazon.com/Rival-4071-WN-.../dp/B00006IUXU

I have one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tommee-Tippe...productDetails in the wake of two young ones in the family. I have kept it to try it out, I don't see a reason why it would not work.........

So many options. Some things look like they've declined in quality looking at the reviews.

I purchased a baby bottle warmer that is more accurate than the crock pot that I had. I went to the depot and purchased a copper end cap. You can buy different sizes of caps depending on the size of job that you are going to do. I keep the full caps in the freezer until needed. The thermometer shows a very accurate temp.

Tried a variety of ways, but none beat my electric "Hold Heat" glue pot. About $120 or so and worth it!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Tried a variety of ways, but none beat my electric "Hold Heat" glue pot. About $120 or so and worth it!
    Exactly. That's the best out there right now. I love mine.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Exactly. That's the best out there right now. I love mine.
    That's what I've been struggling with in the back of my mind. Most of these alternatives have a 'works great but' caveat. The only one that seems not to is perhaps the baby bottle warmer. I'm just trying to evaluate the value to me of it.

If I would have just pulled the trigger on the "Hold Heat" at the beginning, I would have already paid for better than half of it and not wasted time/money with playing with other methods. I would have also saved assembly time. Mine is the aluminum pot model.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

That tip on using ice cube trays is a great one. I've stored larger quantities in the freezer and re-used them, but I've always wondered about the process of repeatedly reheating it. Wrapping up small piecesl and thawing out just the amount you need is a great idea, and using the ice cube trays looks a lot easier than cutting up a larger chunk into small pieces.
    Michael Ray Smith