Thread: Retrofitting a Cincinatti Fan 3hp Dust Collector...Just add a Thien Baffle?

Retrofitting a Cincinatti Fan 3hp Dust Collector...Just add a Thien Baffle?

I think I have read all the pertinent articles and posts about dust collector design and theory, but I still want to ask your advice to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I think I have a fairly unique DC - at least I've never seen anyone else with one on these forums. I have a Cincinatti Fan 3hp dust collector (I have the 300S). I've been piecing it together a little at a time, so I haven't used it at all. The configuration is similar to the way everyone does it (vertical mount, 6" ports, separator lid, etc...), except it doesn't have a baffle like the Thien. Do you guys think that the Thien baffle is all I need to have a good DC setup? Is the barrel tall enough (it's 42" high) that I could mount the baffle right below the lid? Do I need to extend the intake down at all? Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMAG0236.jpgIMAG0238.jpgIMAG0239.jpgIMAG0241.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nobody has any advice? Should I try it as is and see how it does?

Not sure what your plans are for your exhaust. I'd recommend a Wynn filter if you are not exhausting directly outside. I would suggest you try it as is before going to the trouble of building a separator. If you decide to go this route, then this documented build is a great resource: http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?topic=429.0

You are missing the outlet sheet metal which extends down into the drum. It's just a open (top and bottom) cylinder. You most likely could substitute a piece of sheet metal duct that matches your outlet (to blower) hole. The main problem with these DC's is you have to pick up the weight on the motor every time the barrel needs emptying. I have the 1.0 HP version (blower only) mounted on top of my Wood Magazine cyclone.

To avoid lifting the motor all of the time you could do something like this fellow creeker did.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ions&p=1607637

I took some inspiration from his design, but allowed for the bottom of my top-hat to be 3/4" higher than my trash can. I then shim a piece of 3/4" stock under the trask can to "lift" it into my "fixed" top-hat. To empty the bin I knock the shim out, can drops 3/4" and I slide it out.

If your inlet (which is also missing a piece, that looks like the one on thje outside) is 6", I may still have the inside inlet in my junk.

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably get a wynn filter, or I may just vent it outside...I'm not sure yet. I'm trying to piece this system together a little at a time. Does anyone live in central Ohio and have an old filter bag to get me going? Chip collection is better than no collection, and I can't use it without at least a bag. Thanks for the advice!