Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blank processing equipment gloat

Blank processing equipment gloat

I have been super busy the last few month's between work, doing a complete shop overhaul and rearrangement and general cleanup for better function. I have not done any turning besides a natural edge bowl in the last 3 month's. Still working on the shop, but have finally gotten to do some turning. I will post on that later.

One thing I hate doing is cutting up wood for use. My Jet 14" with riser block bandsaw does the job but cutting bigger blocks is a bit slow. I can use the chainsaw but that is not always efficient either as I have to drag everything out to use it. I have wanted a big bandsaw for a long time but as always the money is always a question.

A couple or Saturday's ago I was teaching a turning class at one of our local woodworking machinery stores. A man came in and ask if anyone wanted a big bandsaw. He was willing to sell it cheap. I ask how big and what it was He said it was a blue Jet 24" and all he wanted was $500. I could not pass it up. Overall it is in pretty good shape. Tires are good, bearings are good and even had a good blade on it. I finally was able to bring all 1100lbs home this evening. It may take a couple of weeks to get it going but sure it will cut a little faster.

Here is a phone pic I think it was a pretty good buy. IMG00215-20110406-1823.jpg

Thanks,

Alan

Man that was a sweet deal. Talk about the right place at the right time!! Be sure to thank your guardian angels (or was it the budget demon? hmmmm)

wow.... I have bandsaw envy!!!

JP

Now that is a lucky break. I just picked up a Jet 16" new and thought I had a good deal. Now I am jealous. Enjoy the new tool.

Larry

Uh Oh, I can see the beginning development of a Van Huskey "Clone".

Congratulations, looks like that ought to work well for your purpose, and the cost was very nice too.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Runnin' with the big dogs now! Reckon that ought to do the job.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Holy smokes Alan!! That would solve all my problems!! Well...except for maybe my car problems.

Congratulations!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Alan, what a score!!! Great saw for cutting turning blanks. Hope it functions well for you. Given the size and mass, I would think the guts of it would be in good shape, and all that would be required is a general tuneup.

9. Some guys just fall into it without trying! Congratulations Alan! That one will get the job done!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Man, that thing would go just fine with that big ole lathe that was recently on here that someone's building! Very cool (and great!) deal!

SSSSSSWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET! Nice example of right place, right time, right cost! You'll enjoy that piece of iron I'm sure. I'm sure it can probably take some of those carbide tipped 1" blades I've heard about. Pricey perhaps...but should make life of cutting much easier.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

nice, a few years ago I picked up a Delta/Unisaw with the blade welder on the outside for $250 but it needs all new bearings and a lot of cleaning up. It's still sitting in my studio (ok garage) and hopefully going to strip it down soon and give it a nice paint job too. Also it's about 800 so I have to use my engine hoist to move it around.

Great deal indeed. Congrat's on the score!

Alan
    Super score, can't beat that price !!!! Check out the brake system?? seams I heard something about the brake on these saws getting loose and having problems,wasn't anything big just something to check.Other then that your one lucky ________ !!!!!. I bought a 18" Rikon a couple months ago and love having it,Timber Wolf blade 1/2" = nice bowl blanks.Please be smart and keep your small saw it really is handy for cutting the little stuff around the shop.

WOW! Bet the lights dim in a 4 block radius every time you fire that thing up!

Seriously - congrats on the saw! Pretty much eliminates bandsaw upgrades for the foreseeable future! Enjoy!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!